My Shop!

Monday, December 13, 2010

Aromatherapy Christmas Crafting

Diva Bread Women

    Under my list of favorite blogs, you will find "Mommy's Kitchen".  It is here where I found my inspiration for this next crafting project.  I am a big fan of home fragrances.  I have to be, common, I don't want my house smelling like bacon all the time  lol.  So I decided to try making some scented ornaments.  Although they may look a lot like cookies, they are not for eating, as I had to remind my toddler on several occasions.  Thanks to my youngest we have a reindeer that will never have two horns again. 
   In the original recipe, that has been around for years, they use Elmer's Glue, applesauce, and cinnamon.  I decided to play around with the items in my pantry, and came up with a new recipe with glitter glue (for a little sparkle), applesauce, cinnamon, cloves, and the extracts of orange, almond, and vanilla.  I can't tell you how inviting my home smelled this weekend while these were baking. Of course you could hang these with some pretty ribbon and have a sweet smelling ornament complete.  We decided to get a little silly with some of ours, just check out our Diva Bread Women!  We accessorized with some fun foam self sticking cutouts found at the dollar store.

Reindeer, Rudolph, and Our one antler deer with his eyes closed so he wouldn't see my toddler biting his ear off.  lol

With this recipe you should have enough dough to bake up 4 cookie sheets of  ornaments. 
You will bake your ornaments in a 170 degree preheated oven for 35 minutes then let them dry for 2 days before decorating, stringing, and hanging. 

1 cup plus 4 tsp of ground cinnamon
1/2 cup ground cloves
1 1/2 cups applesauce
1 tsp of each vanilla, almond, and orange extracts
1/8 cup glitter glue, I used a bit of red, silver, and gold colors

I mixed all of the above with an electric mixer until a nice dough formed.  You will need a little extra cinnamon or cloves or both for dusting your rolling pin and your foil, that you will roll the dough out on to prevent sticking.  Bake on cookie sheets lined with foil too.  I let mine dry on the cookie sheets for two days.  I flipped them over after day one so the back side would dry too. 

I hope you will enjoy these fun scented ornaments.  I have some that are almost a year old now, and they still smell good. 

While you are here, check our our Giveaway Page.

To see where I party, check out my Linky Love page.

1 comment:

  1. I love them Mindie! You are quite a crafter (Is that a word? LOL) What a great idea - Maria


Mathew 7:12
So in everything, do to others what you would have them do to you.