My Shop!

Tuesday, December 21, 2010

Claudia Signal-Leon's Bacon Pralines


   Claudia has been such a wonderful support system for her family and for us men and women at RWoP.  It has been a joy getting to know her better.  I would go on and describe her myself but being that Claudia herself is a talented linguist as well as an amazing gourmet home cook, I will just let her do it better.  Here is a bit of Claudia in her own words as well as her wonderful bacon pralines, a traditional recipe in her home...

PASSIONATE ABOUT FOOD...A GOURMET HOME COOK
I am a linguist, residing in Atlanta...a "culivisionary" with a passion for food and cooking, and all things cultural. In addition to languages and cooking, I am a patron of the arts, and love classical and jazz music, ballet, literature and writing. I love to experiment with different flavors and textures of food, focusing on the balance of flavors and the chemistry of the ingredients, so that every nuance of flavor can be enjoyed in every meal. At present, cooking is my mode of relaxation. I am the caregiver for my father who is 88 years old and lost everything he owned in Hurricane Katrina. He suffers from Alzheimer's disease, and requires 24-hour care, but loves my food. I prepare all of his traditional Creole favorites! I am an entrepreneur, and have created a new genre of foods to which I refer as "Nouvelle Creole". 
 
Cream Cheese Bacon Pralines
Bacon Pralines? Yes, indeed! Thick cut bacon is slathered with a cream cheese praline mixture, and baked to a sweet crispness. This is a great brunch or shower side dish, can be crumbled on top of salads, or to add a sweet crunch to any dish that calls for bacon. These pralines are a tradition at both my Christmas Eve and Mother's Day brunches.
  • Prep time: 5 minutes
  • |Cook time: 15 minutes
  • |Total time: 20 minutes
  • |Servings: 4
  • 1 pound(s) of Thick Cut Maple Bacon
  • 1 cup(s) of Brown Sugar
  • 8 ounce(s) of Honey Nut Philly Cream Cheese
  • 1 cup(s) of Chopped Pecans
Steps
  1. Cook bacon in a preheated 400 degree oven for about 15 minutes, or until it starts to sizzle around the edges.
  2. Make the praline coating by mixing some of the pecans, some of the brown sugar and cream cheese together, and then spread this onto each bacon slice.
  3. Blend the remaining sugar and pecans together, use it to generously cover each bacon slice, and then return bacon back to oven for approximately 10 minutes to crisp bacon and harden praline top. Remove, cool and serve.

   Thank you again Claudia for sharing your heart and your kitchen with us.  I can't wait to try this recipe out.  I know if it came from your kitchen, it will be nothing less then fabulous.  So many people love the combination of salty and sweet, I think this would be perfect at any holiday brunch buffet or as a cocktail party appetizer.
    Speaking of salty and sweet, check in with Bacon Time later this week for some White Chocolate Maple Bacon Fudge.  

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Mathew 7:12
So in everything, do to others what you would have them do to you.