My Shop!

Thursday, January 27, 2011

Groundhog Cake

Can you tell that Joshua helped with the frosting :)  The proof is all over his face.

  There is a great blog I follow called Gourmet Mom on the Go.  The blogger, named Mandy, is also a host for those of us at the Real Women of Philadelphia.  She inspired me to celebrate Groundhog day this year and to do more then just watch Groundhog Day the movie.  Surprisingly I forgot about Groundhog day being next week.  I tend to decorate for almost every holiday, mostly for my kids and a little for the big kid in me.  This bacon loving girl loves to bake, as you probably already know, so I decided to decorate a cake for groundhog day.
   I have been spending a lot of time (more then usual) in the kitchen so I decided to keep this one really easy.  You can make a cake from scratch if you like or you can embrace the store bought cake mixes.  In my opinion they are just as good, super easy, affordable, and I hate to admit it but sometimes moister then cakes from scratch.  I used Oreo Peanut Butter Chocolate sandwich cookies for the dirt in this dirt cake.  The ingredients you need are listed below.  If you are still lacking the inspiration to make your very own Groundhog Day Cake, maybe this will help motivate you, Mandy is giving away $50 to one lucky person that submits a picture of an item of food with you guessed it a groundhog on it.  As I see it, even if I don't win, I get to eat chocolate cake with my three boys, and that makes for a good time. You can find a print out for the ground hog at Mandy's blog and here is the link below.

 Happy Groundhog day (week) everyone! 


1 chocolate cake mix (I used Betty Crocker Triple Chocolate Fudge Cake mix)
1 container of milk chocolate frosting (I used a reduced sugar frosting)
3 eggs (I used 3/4 cup cholesterol free egg product)
1/2 cup oil (I used canola)
14 Dark Sandwich Cookies Crumbled (I used Oreo Peanut Butter Chocolate Cookies)
10 Gummy Worms
1/2 cup of  Sweetened Shredded coconut
Green food coloring (for coloring coconut, about 25 drops)
1 ground hog printable with toothpick or long appetizer fork taped to the inside

Mental note need more ink for the printer, I think all that is left is red hence the red not brown groundhog.

To see where I party, check out my LINKY LOVE page.


  1. This is so adorable! Love it!

  2. Love this! Happy Groundhog Day!

  3. So cute! I wanna just dive face first into it. :)


Mathew 7:12
So in everything, do to others what you would have them do to you.