My Shop!

Wednesday, February 9, 2011

A Chewy Treat for your Sweetheart

   Valentines day is next week, and I love showing my two little boys how much I love them with something
sweet to eat.  This cookie bar has 3 layers of goodness with a cake batter/cookie dough bottom,  a center of creamy sweet cream cheese, and a final layer of crumb topping.  A special treat indeed, especially with our  personalized hearts.  Here is what you will need to recreate this easy recipe.

1 Pillsbury Funfetti Cake Mix (I used the Valentines variety)
1 stick plus 6 more tbs of unsalted butter (as Paula Deen would say, I am a cook, not your doctor.)
2 large eggs ( 1/2 cup of cholesterol & fat free egg product will work as well)
8 ounces of cream cheese (reduced fat and fat free will work, I used regular however)
1/3 cup of white sugar, and an additional 1/2 cup for crumb topping
1 cup of all purpose flour, unsifted (I never sift, don't judge me)
1 tsp Vanilla extract
Red food coloring, optional (I used 20 drops for pink color in the cream cheese)

Step 1.  Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  You can either grease your cake pan with butter, on bottom and sides, or you can line it with parchment paper as I did.  The parchment paper will make it easy to lift the bars out, to slice the perfect piece or cut the perfect heart as I did. Note I used a large 15 inch x 11 inch glass pan.
Mix with an electric mixer your cake mix, Funfetti packet too, 1 egg, and 6 tbs of softened butter.  You can soften in the microwave, it only takes a few seconds.  Don't melt only soften.  Mix until you have what looks like a cookie dough, then press into the bottom of your baking dish with your hands, spreading evenly.  Bake in the center of your preheated oven for 10 minutes.

Step 2. While that bakes, mix your cream cheese (will work best if it is at room temperature) with 1/3 cup of sugar, 1 egg, vanilla, and food coloring (optional).  Mix until well combined.  When your 10 minutes is up, spread this on top of your partially baked dough, spreading evenly. Note: it is not necessary to clean mixer or beaters in between steps 1 and 2.

Step 3.  Now make your crumb topping by mixing together flour, 1/2 cup sugar, & 8 tbs of soft butter.  Mix with a fork until crumbs form.  Sprinkle on top of cream cheese layer.  Return to oven and bake for 35 to 40 more minutes.  You can serve this hot or cold.  The colder it is, the chewier it will be.  Store leftovers in the fridge, covered.  Optional cut into hearts using a cookie cutter as a stencil.  Top with your personalized marshmallows.

What you need, cake mix, sugar, flour, eggs, cream cheese, butter, vanilla extract, and red food coloring (optional).

Your first layer of cake mix, that is now like a cookie dough, in your parchment lined pan.  Note I clipped the sides
to keep paper out of my way but removed before baking.

Your layer of cream cheese, colored pink for Valentines.

Now with the crumb topping.

Optional, to make your personalized hearts.

You can substitute different varieties of cake mix for an easy twist to this recipe.

In case you were wondering, this is my Sweetheart Lucas.  Mommy might have gotten carried away with those
fun edible markers.  LoL, don't worry it washed off, eventually.

Check out my LINKY LOVE page to see where I party!


  1. This is a terrific recipe Mindy! My daughter has a Valentine party this week at school and these would be a fun snack for her to take to class. Do you think I could use a smaller heart cookie cutter to make more treats?

  2. For sure. You will have some not so pretty leftovers when you do it this way though. If you use the larger pan as I did you could probably get 24 little square servings, which she could serve in pretty Valentine muffin cups and then top each one with a heart, would be nice. I make different variations of this treat all the time for parties, always an extra big hit with the kids.

  3. they are very cute, and i bet delish!

  4. I love this idea for Valentine's Day. So pretty and cute! Thanks for sharing on Crazy Sweet Tuesday and have a Happy New Year!


Mathew 7:12
So in everything, do to others what you would have them do to you.