My Shop!

Monday, February 28, 2011

Sizzlin' Carne Asada Gorditas!


First I have a fabulous marinade for you to try out on your carne asada.  Second I will show you how to grill up a fabulous gordita with grilled flat bread, carne asada, chipotle mayo, pico de gallo, shredded cheese and fresh lime.  This is one of those dishes I could have over and over, it's that good.  This marinade would be great with chicken, shrimp, or pork too. I actually prepared this at the outdoor grill while it was snowing.  How is that for dedication Bobby Flay lol?  Well it snows a lot here in Northern Cali, but this Southern Cali native loves her grill and her south of the border flavor, so that means we do a lot of chillin' and grillin'!

Marinade Ingredients:
Combine in a large mixing bowl the following

1 cup orange pineapple juice 100% juice
1/3 cup white wine vinegar
1 tbs Worcestershire sauce
2 tbs extra virgin olive oil
1 packet of fajitas seasoning mix (1.12 oz package)
2 tbs less sodium soy sauce
1/3 cup of lemon juice
juice of 1 lime
1 1/2 tbs sugar
1/4 tbs chili garlic sauce (or more for heat)

To prepare, you will want anywhere from 1 1/4 to 1 1/2 pounds of skirt steak.  You will want to sprinkle with about 1 1/3 tsp total of unseasoned  meat tenderizer a little on each side,  before beating with your bumpy side of a meat mallet.  Reserve about 3/4 cup of your marinade off to the side, then add your meat to the rest and store covered in fridge for 1 to 6 hours (I prefer 6 hours).  You will want to grill on a 450 to 550 F degree grill, to get nice grill marks, and to get great flavor and lock in juices.  It will take about 2 to 7 minute per a side, depending on how well done you like your meat.  To guarantee a great sear, I like to spray both sides of the meat with an extra virgin olive oil flavored spray before grilling.  The spray will attract the heat and help you get a nice sear.  You will also want to take that clean reserved marinade and put it in an aluminum cake pan on the grill to get hot.  When your meat is done, place it in pan with the hot marinade, and cover with foil.  Remove from heat, let rest for 10 to 15 minutes before slicing across the grain.  While meat rest you can grill your flat bread that you have brushed with olive oil.  Grill for 1 to 2 minutes on each side or until you have nice grill marks.

The remaining ingredients:  

4 six inch squares of flat bread (I used Subway's flat bread (my favorite)
extra virgin olive oil for brushing on bread
chipotle mayo, I love Kraft's and it is reduced fat too
1 cup of  finely shredded cheese, I used Kraft Colby and Monterey jack blend
fressh pico de gallo
lime wedges
hot sauce, on side optional

I hope you will give this great recipe a try.  It was so good, we actually had it twice last week.  Hopefully you don't have to grill in the snow like I do.

this post is linked to:


  1. OMG, this Sizzlin' Carne Asada Gorditas looks absolutely delicious! Can't wait to make some myself!

    I'm hosting the Culinary Smackdown Battle on my blog. This month's theme is COOKIES! Would you please join us for the fun? I have some cool prizes waiting too.


  2. Wow those things look fabulous!!

  3. I'm visiting from This Week's Cravings. Love the marinade, sounds wonderful. Bookmarking this one.


Mathew 7:12
So in everything, do to others what you would have them do to you.