My Shop!

Monday, March 7, 2011

Keepsake Rosette Pearl Necklace Made From Baby Clothes


 Ok I am getting a little sappy because in a month and a day my youngest, Lucas, will be turning 2 years old.  This last year has been amazing, a little crazy, but wonderful.  It went by all too fast, as time seems to do.  I have had this box of old baby clothes, ones that are stained and not going to Goodwill or being donated to friends, sitting in his closet.  It seems simple enough, throw the items away.  However, I know I can't be the only mother who feels a sentimental connection to the clothing, stained or not.  In fact the stains only remind me how real it all is.  I am not 16 anymore.  I am 33 going on 34, I have two kids, and they keep getting older, as do I :(

   Well I came up with a solution.  Yes it is to heartbreaking to throw the items out.  They kept my little one warm and snug for the first year of his life.  So when I came across this baby blue faux pearl necklace on sale yesterday, I knew instantly what I would do with it.  As soon as I got home with my new treasure, I recycled some old treasures (stained baby clothes) into pretty rosettes for the necklace.  Anyone of you could do this same thing and be able to keep your baby memories literally close to your heart.  There are bunches of rosette tutorials out there on the web to choose from so I am not going to do a huge demo.  However here is what I did.  I used a stained white onsie and a pair of stretchy blue baby pants (also stained).  The floral fabric rosette was leftover scraps from a bunny project in an earlier post.  When I cut my strips of fabric I made sure not to use the stained parts.  I attached the rosettes to white felt with hot glue.  I then added some pearls from the floral department to dress up even  more my rosettes.  They were pearl pins and I simply removed with wire cutters the  pin part so that I could hot glue them on.  To attach the rosettes to the necklace I simply used more felt and hot glue.
   Well I have been making and selling rosette necklaces for other people but this one is not going on the shop.  It will always be a special piece for me.  A reminder that life can be messy, stains happen, time moves on, but our memories can last a lifetime.

This post is linked to

To see where else I party, check out my Linky Love page.

22 comments:

  1. You are just too clever! I totally relate to the "sentimental connection". I have Jerry's 1st shoes and the 1st pair of jeans he wore! I understand...... You are just amazing, and that's not just because I love you either!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great use of the old baby clothes. Love the greenish Pearls (or is it just the camera that made them that color).

    Creativity is the key to every beautiful creation.


    Regards,
    Tiffany @ Religious Necklaces

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mindie,
    This is beautiful. Where do I buy your rosettes? Let me know if you'd like to do a guest spot on my blog with this. I'd love to do a giveaway with one of your beautiful necklaces.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The pearls are a gray blue and champagne color on the rosettes and blue on the necklace, I think the different monitors are making them look green. Thanks eveyone. Shannon I make my own rosettes and would love to do a tutorial on your blog if you want me to.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very cute!!

    Thanks so much for linking to "20 Below Thursday"! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a sentimental way to upcycle old baby clothes. I can't part with the baby clothes either, this is especially great when the clothes are too stained for charity or hand-me-downs.

    Thanks for sharing this with my readers at Creative Juice Thursday!

    <3
    nicolette

    ReplyDelete
  7. Such a creative upcycling idea!! Love it!! Thanks bunches for linking this super cute idea to the K.I.S.S. blog bash. :)


    Drop by The Tattered Tag

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a fabulous idea. I have way too many baby clothes that I just cannot get rid of. I think I might have to make something with them. Thanks for sharing this at Fantastic Friday. I hope that you will join us again next week.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ahh, a kindred spirit with a marshmallow heart. This is such a great idea. Thanks for sharing it.

    Warmly, Michelle

    ReplyDelete
  10. Can not imagine such lovely creations from baby clothes.The roses look so perfect and beautiful.Wow ...when creativity does it's bit the you can fly with wings.

    Initial Charms

    ReplyDelete
  11. So pretty and such a great idea. I couldn't bring myself to give away a lot of my girls' clothes either. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Such a sweet and thoughtful idea!

    Megan
    www.CutTheCraft.com

    ReplyDelete
  13. James I have not made baby clothes, is that what you are asking. I can sew, but have been busy making aprons these days for friends. I do sell rosette necklaces on my Etsy shop. There is a link on the right side bar of my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Beautiful! what a great idea for using those baby clothes! I'm always on the lookout for clothes upcycling projects (have even started a whole page on my blog dedicated to it!)

    I would love if you came over and linked this project to my weekly Round Tuit party at:
    http://jembellish.blogspot.com/
    Have a great week!
    Jill @ Creating my way to Success

    ReplyDelete
  15. Last Sunday morning in the church I see a baby this wear a very elegant red baby clothes that looks like a dress of an adult but the size is for babies.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I LOVE this Mindie! I featured it on my blog today- come by and check it out!!!

    http://livingcraftilyeverafter.blogspot.com/2011/05/five-fabulous-finds-8.html

    Kelly

    ReplyDelete
  17. Necklaces are generally made according to the requirements of the person and can contain a combination of pearls of different sizes and colors. Depending on the preference and budget, they can be made just single piece with only one round of pearls or with multiple rounds too. This is really a great idea of making amazing pearl necklaces. Thanks a lot.

    ReplyDelete
  18. What a great idea to preserve the memories of your child's baby clothing! That turned out beautiful!

    Thanks so much for sharing at Knick of Time Tuesday Vintage Style Party!

    Blessings,
    Angie

    ReplyDelete
  19. This is really really like a hard compiegn to fine pearl necklacewhen you have too many choices to go, among a pool of styles its not easy to choose for yourself so I often have to go for this confusion but my problems solved when I visited the store pravins and I got a beautiful range over here.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Another good thing in buying and wearing trendy beaded jewelry is you do not want to spend thousands of greenbacks to have people who will appreciate your look and your image. Fashionable beaded jewelry like necklaces, earrings and bracelets are available in wide variety of styles and designs. You'll only spend one or two dollars to few hundred bucks depending on the kind of materials you select for your jewelry.

    ReplyDelete

Mathew 7:12
So in everything, do to others what you would have them do to you.