My Shop!

Monday, March 14, 2011

Somthing Old, Something New, Something Borrowed, Something Blue...

  No I am not getting married.  I have actually been with my husband for almost 14 years now.  My friend is getting married and so I decided I wanted to send her something special.  I don't have a lot of money but I knew I could come up with something clever and pretty to send her.  That old saying "something old, something new, something borrowed, and something blue" was stuck in my head.  I had just made myself a keepsake blue rosette necklace out of my sons stained old baby clothes in an earlier post.  I knew I had enough material left to make another rosette.  So you see I already had my "something blue & something old" taken care of.  So I bought a "new" garter belt and added to it my blue rosette and a crocheted white rosette along with a white pearl button and some strung fused pearls.  I think it turned out really pretty.  Of course I had to send it to my friend with a note telling her to "borrow" this.   So if you are like me and in need of an inexpensive yet clever congratulatory gift why not make one of these beautiful garters.

What you will need:

Old blue material (if you can't find anything in your closet you want to destroy head to the Goodwill store)  soft cotton fabrics work best in my opinion.

A crocheted white flower or If you don't crochet you could substitute a round piece of laced fabric or lace ribbon  shaped into a circle.

Small square of white felt.

A garter (the wider the better for having room to hot glue your rosette in place).  You can find them in most craft departments in the wedding isle.

Hot glue gun and glue.

Strung Fused Pearl (usually in the fabric department).

1 pearl button (and wire cutters to snip off the back so that it lays flat).


Step 1.   If your garter came with decorations on it like a bow remove it.  Make your rosette using the blue fabric and felt.  If you are new to making rosettes here is a short video tutorial I made for another project but it will show you the general technique.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZsSRZsfJWeA

Step 2.  If you know how to crochet a white flower you can do so or you can simply cut out a circle larger then your blue rosette in lace fabric or a laced ribbon shaped into a circle.  I cut four small pieces of fused pearls and hot glued them to my white flower then covered up the glue portion by gluing on top of that my blue rosette. 

Step 3.  Glue your pearl button to the center of the blue rosette and glue the entire thing on to your garter.

Pretty, sentimental, sweet, romantic, and a bit sexy, a perfect little engagement gift If I do say so myself.  Trisha if you are reading this, congratulations again.  I am very happy for you.  This pretty is on its way to you.

Linking to Be Different Act Normal and the rest of the cool places I party (see where I link up page please).

5 comments:

  1. I got it today Mindie. You are so sweet and thoughtful! Thank you! I miss you guys so much <3 <3 <3 <3 <3
    -Trisha

    ReplyDelete
  2. sweet :)

    Thanks so much for linking to "20 Below Thursday"! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this! So sweet. Thanks for linking it up to our YARN IT ALL party! :]

    ReplyDelete
  4. Super sweet idea! Thank you for linking up to my K.I.S.S. blog bash last week. This weeks blog bash is in full swing again!! If you haven't already please be sure & link up more of your creativity, I look forward to seeing all your great ideas. :)

    Drop by The Tattered Tag

    ReplyDelete

Mathew 7:12
So in everything, do to others what you would have them do to you.