My Shop!

Saturday, April 30, 2011

Mother's Day Art!

I decided to mail my Mother in Law a pretty piece of wall art instead of the usual card this year for Mother's Day.  This is not just art, it is a keepsake.  You see the flowers are hand prints of her two grandsons.  They are also made out of an old onesie that both boys wore at one time.  Sweet don't you think.  An earth friendly project too since we are up cycling. 

Here is what I used. 

1 piece of scrapbook paper
the back piece of cardboard off of the scrapbook paper collection
scrap fabric in green for stems and leaves
a sturdy square piece of fabric, a little larger then you scrapbook paper, canvas or denim will work well
old baby onesie
Scrap piece of burlap (permanent marker for writing the year)

I traced the hands of my two sons onto the back side of the onesie fabric, then cut the hands out with scissors.  I first hot glued the twine to the canvas for hanging.  Then I hot glued the cardboard and next the pretty paper down.  Then I glued the hands, stems, and leaves (easy enough no pattern was needed), and the year down with more hot glue.
Super easy and will be a treasured keepsake I am sure for years to come.

If you want, you can fray as I did, the edges of the canvas fabric, for more personality.

Well I have shared my Mother's day gifts for this year, I might be ruining the surprise if either one checks my blog, but I wanted to share these fun projects before the holiday is here.

Happy Mother's Day Mommies!

This post is linked to


  1. What a great idea, your mother in law will treasure it! It would look pretty in a frame as well!

  2. Great idea! I think I'll have to get out the supplies for the boys to do something for their grandmas. Thanks for following and I'm following you back! We definitely have a lot in common! How did you lose all the weight??? I'm on Weight Watchers and do really well when I'm actually following the program. It's when I raid my boys' Easter stash that things don't seem to go my way. :) I look forward to getting to know you!

  3. I am in LOVE with this! I am a total sucker for anything that can use my kids handprints! Looks great!

  4. This is such a lovely idea! Personally, I'm not a big fan of cards (they just seem like such a waste, you know?), so I love that this is more of a keepsake than something that will probably be put in a box somewhere and never looked at again!

  5. Hello! I am stopping by from the Sunday Blog Hop! I am your newest follower! I cannot wait to read more. I hope you will stop by and follow me back :)


Mathew 7:12
So in everything, do to others what you would have them do to you.