My Shop!

Thursday, April 7, 2011

Spongebob Square Cake

My little Tyrant, I mean, little love of my life, is turning two tomorrow.  Since I want to have plenty of time to spend the day playing with him I made his cake today.  This cake was pretty easy and super tasty.  Since Spongebob or as Lucas calls him "Bob Bob" lives in a pineapple under the sea and is a yellow sponge, I made a moist yellow pineapple cake.

Cake recipe:

1 box of yellow cake mix
3 eggs (I used 3/4 cup of a cholesterol free egg product)
1/3 cup of Canola Oil (I read an article a long time ago about breast cancer and it said Canola is better then Vegetable which has been linked to increased chances of breast cancer just an fyi )
20 ounce can of crushed pineapple in real pineapple juice.

Mix above according to cake package directions (don't add water there is enough liquid in the canned pineapple).  Bake in a 13"x9" cake pan for 30 to 35 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean,  at 350 F degrees or 325 F for dark or coated non stick pans.

To Decorate Cake:

To decorate cake I frosted two yellow Twinkies for his feet in black cream cheese chocolate frosting.
I used two Oreo Golden funstix for his legs.  I melted white chocolate and covered the bottom of the funstix and then used edible markers to add lines in red and blue to resemble his socks.  I used a 1/4 piece of a funstix for his nose and covered it in frosting.

The rest of the decorating is just a combination of fluffy white frosting, chocolate cream cheese frosting, and food coloring. I could have probably done a little nicer job if I had actually used my piping bags and tips but I didn't feel like hand washing everything afterwards so I just used zip lock bags and snipped the tip. So who wants a piece of cake, I know "I am ready ready ready ready ready" as the Bob man would say. 
Best part, when Lucas saw the finished cake, he screamed and clapped with joy.  Oh I love you baby boy.  Happy one Day Before your very own special Day! I will be sure to share his B-day pics with you too.

Check out my Linky Love page for where I party.

9 comments:

  1. Hi Mindie, love that cake! You're so creative, I love baking different cakes for celebrations, I know Lucas will be crazy about that cake... and oh the memories of him tearing into that cake. Enjoy Enjoy!

    Marilyn Carriere

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mindie, great job!!! The cake is beautiful, you are very talented! Wish Lucas a happy b-day, I am sure he will have a great time eating the cake. Maria

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is a cute looking cake! Wish your son a Happy Birthday! I'm sure he is looking forward to share his lovely cake with his friends! Have fun!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh wow Mindie you did a FAbulous Job your little guy is very lucky to have a mama like you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mindie, that is cute!!!! Lucas is going to love it!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Mindie this is so awesome! My kids would love this! I would love to have you share this at my VIP party this weekend =) http://designergarden.blogspot.com/2011/04/vip-party-10.html

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is so cute! I just sent a copy of this to my BIL because he has a thing for sponge Bob! Thanks for sharing this at Fantastic Friday.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This cake looks so yummy! My daughter would just love it! She is crazy about SpongeBob Square Pants. She always watches him on Nickelodeon. Good thing we subscribe to DISH Network since we get to watch him with DISH Online. As a DISH employee I can tell you that with DISH Online you can watch live TV and all of your recording. You should go to www.dishnetwork.com for more info.

    ReplyDelete

Mathew 7:12
So in everything, do to others what you would have them do to you.