My Shop!

Friday, April 15, 2011

Two Oh So Different Corn Bread Recipes

Well it was side dish week at the Real Women of Philadelphia.  I am going to share with you two recipes I submitted.  Both are corn bread, but neither taste like the other.  The first recipe is like a savory, gooey, cheesy quiche with a corn bread bottom.  The second corn bread recipe is great for those picky eaters that don't eat a lot of fruits and vegetables, since the corn bread has sweet potatoes and pineapple in it.  This one is on the sweeter side. I can vouch for you that it makes amazing Johny cake, as my mom calls it, which is when we serve it for breakfast with milk and sugar on top.
If you would like to watch the cooking videos I made for either of these side dishes, you can head to RWOP.  I have a link on the left side bar of my blog for you.  Both of these would be a fun new side for the big Easter dinner coming up.

 Kickin Corn Bread

This recipe is a twist to one of my husband's favorite appetizers. In the original appetizer, called Sunshine Poppers, I use crescent dough. This time I decided to turn it into a side dish. I skipped the crescent dough, and used corn bread as the crust, a favorite side dish of my husbands. I think this cheesy zesty corn bread, might have made him fall in love with me all over again. So easy too, I won't mind making this often.
  • Prep time: 5 minutes
  • Cook time: 25 minutes
  • Total time: 30 minutes
  • Servings: 8
  • 8 ounce(s) of Philadelphia Chive & Onion Cream Cheese
  • 8 ounce(s) of Kraft Mexican Style Four Cheese (2 cups)
  • 11 ounce(s) of Canned Corn with Red & Green Bell Peppers, drained
  • 5 Slices Fully Cooked Bacon, chopped
  • 1/2 cup(s) of Cholesterol Free Egg Product or 2 eggs
  • 8 1/2 ounce(s) of Box of Corn Muffin Mix
  • 1/3 cup(s) of milk
  • 1 tsp. of hot sauce
  1. Preheat oven to 400 F degrees.
  2. Spray the sides and bottom of a 2 quart baker with butter flavored non stick spray.
  3. Prepare corn bread as directed on box with milk and 1 egg. Pour batter into your greased baking dish, spreading out evenly.
  4. Mix remaining ingredients together in a large mixing bowl until well combined. Cream cheese will mix best at room temperature. Pour on top of your corn bread batter spreading evenly.
  5. Bake in the center of your preheated oven for 25 minutes or until golden brown. Serve hot or at room temperature. Optional garnish with fresh salsa or Pico De Gallo before serving. Store leftovers covered in fridge.

Pineapple & Sweet Potato Corn Bread
I made these muffins last Thanksgiving. They were a big hit with my older son, who is a picky eater, and doesn't usually eat pineapple or sweet potatoes. I was pleasantly surprised when he requested them again. I knew I had to share this quick easy side dish to help all those other moms with picky eaters on their hands.
  • Prep time: 10 minutes
  • Cook time: 15 minutes
  • Total time: 25 minutes
  • Servings: 24
  • 8 ounce(s) of Philadelphia Honey Nut Cream Cheese
  • 3 1/2 ounce(s) of Sweet Potatoes (baby food)
  • 25 1/2 ounce(s) of Corn Muffin Mix (3 packages, 8.5 oz each)
  • 3 Eggs or 3/4 cup cholesterol free egg product
  • 8 ounce(s) of Canned Crushed Pineapple in Pineapple Juice
  1. Preheat oven to 400 F degrees.
  2. Mix with a spoon, all of your ingredients together until combined. Note, cream cheese will mix best at room temperature. Batter will be lumpy. Let rest for 3 to 4 minutes.
  3. Line your muffin tins with paper muffin cups or grease with a non stick butter flavored spray.
  4. Stir muffin batter once more and fill muffin cups evenly.
  5. Bake in the center of your preheated oven for 15 minutes or until muffins start to turn golden brown. Serve hot or at room temperature. Optional, serve a compound honey butter on the side.


  1. Both of these sound delicious! Can't wait to try them! Thanks for sharing!

  2. Following you on GFC for the WBH. Have a great weekend!

  3. Love this recipe! You should come link it up to my What's Cooking Wednesday linky this week!

    Checking out your blog from the weekend blog hop. I am your newest follower!

    Would love to have you visit my blog and follow back...have a great weekend!



Mathew 7:12
So in everything, do to others what you would have them do to you.