My Shop!

Tuesday, May 3, 2011

My Weight Loss Story

I have had followers ask how I lost all the weight. I usually try to get back to every ones questions in person but since this is a common reoccurring one, I thought I would answer in a post.  I actually talked about it early on in blogging, but that was back when I was probably the only one that read my posts.  So in case you don't know, yes I use to be fat, and now I am thin with a foodie type blog, go figure.

I had struggled with my weight my entire life.  I come from a large family, don't think I lucked out and inherited some skinny genes, I assure you the only genes I inherited were "husky" lol.
I still to this day watch what I eat.  Yes I eat every recipe I share on this blog.  I do so in moderation.  I also work out everyday, even if it is just a 30 minute power walk.  One thing I have learned to do with my diet is not make sacrifices I can't live without.  What I am saying is make healthy changes in your diet that you can live with so that you will not gain all the weight back when you go off the diet.  I have always found I eat more if I refuse myself what I really want.  So yes I eat a little bacon, or a small piece of chocolate when I want it, again in  moderation.

So here is what worked for me.  One day I decided I was going to stop starving myself on crazy diets.  I was going to eat sensibly and work out everyday.  Guess what, it worked.  It didn't happen over night, but eventually I started losing weight slowly but surly.  No I didn't have surgery or take any pills, not that I am judging, you have to do what works for you.  Here is a few things that I do daily that I feel have helped me lose about a hundred pounds (gasp) that number still freaks me out, and keep t it off for about five years.

1) Drink plenty of calorie free fluids.  Especially if you are sitting down to a big meal, if you drink a lot of water before, you won't be as hungry.  I have also read that drinking ice cold water will boost your metabolism just a tiny bit.  I enjoy coffee (boy do I enjoy my coffee in the morning) and decaf green tea. I usually have one or two diet sodas a day.  I know some people are against them, but I am not.

2) Exercise Daily!  Probably the most important since this is what will reset your slow metabolism so that you can eat more and still lose weight.  Yes I eat more now then when I was fat.  I know people are going to be skeptical of this but it is true.  I have read your metabolism is only higher for 24 hours after a workout, that is why I think daily is important.

3) Watch your sodium.  Do you know that one fast food meal can have easily more sodium in it then you should consume in an entire day.  When you eat out, start reading the nutrition menus and don't only look at calories and fat, look at the sodium.  Not only did my blood pressure drop but I know this helped me lose weight.  Lose the bloat factor as I like to call it. 

4) I get on the scales every morning just to keep myself in check.

5) I keep a food journal, to hold myself accountable, and keep myself from grazing.

6) I eat small frequent meals, breakfast being the largest, then a sensible lunch and early dinner.  What your body can't burn in two hours turns to fat.  So don't eat right before bed time a big meal.  I rather like to have a small early dinner and a small snack in the evening to regulate my blood sugar at night.  Yes I am hypoglycemic and found out at the time I was naming this blog.  That's me the Hungry Hypo.  Since being diagnosed, I do eat more protein and healthy fats, and have been feeling fine, so no worries.

7) They say spicy food is good for boosting metabolism, but you still need to look at the sodium.  Maybe make your own spicy low sodium salsa.

8) Don't Stress.  I gained most of my weight in college, while over loading on classes and working  a full time job too.  I wasn't eating a ton of food and I was working out, but kept gaining  more and more weight.  I think when we are stressed our bodies don't function as they should.   So find something that relaxes you and do it everyday, for me that is walking.

I hope that this has helped answer some questions.  I wish anyone wanting to lose a few pounds good luck.  If you need a shoulder for support, I am a click away.

This post is linked to:

Stumble Thursday


  1. Thanks for this post. I am a new follower so I had no idea you lost weight. Most of what you say makes so much sense to me. I need to lose at least 50 to 60lbs but I have been stuck. My nemesis seems to be stress as well. I had started losing a few years ago right before we had our move to an Army base in NC. Then a deployment 6 weeks later and 12 months of stress to go with that. The Army never stops so I have yet to find my stress free groove in this new life (we were prior service Air Force for 10 years). It is encouraging to hear it happens to others as well. I am starting couch to 5K with a friend this week and focusing on drinking more water. Love you site!

  2. I can't find your post... Hope it's ok to put this here!

    First of all she was rude! They need to spell check and proof read what they wrote before posting it.
    (Example: .I wonder were you got that idea!)Were should be where.... Second of all, if they don't want people to "use" their ideas, don't post them on WWW! And come on, how did they get the idea? 90% sure they probably found it on another blog or DIY web. I wouldn't worry about one person. Is there any way you can block her?? I personally love your blog and ideas and will always credit others when trying to be crafty. {hugs} Steph

  3. Steph I removed the prior post. If said person keeps harassing me I will email it to her with the many kind comments left behind by folks like you. The outpour of love from so many of you was all I needed to ditch the icky she had left behind from false accusations. I want this blog to stay a positive site, I am a
    positive person, and will continue to be.

  4. You look awesome :) You have been stumbled by How to use Ping-o-matic So sorry for the cut and paste, but I wanted you to know you have been Stumbled even though I am in the middle of the I Love My Mommy event!

  5. Wow...kudos to you! I really just want to know how to isolate that "skinny gene" LOL.

    Stumbled you...would love if you could stumble me back:

    Thanks for linking up!
    Kristin :)

  6. Great words of wisdom!! I am currently working really hard on trying to lose some extra weight for a wedding I'm in this's so hard!! Weight Watchers has been the most successful for me...because it's eating things in moderation!! You're so good with the food journal...that's the hardest for me!

    Thanks so much for linking up to "20 Below Thursday"! :)

  7. I have 100 pounds to loose and I just can't stick with a diet, I really liked your words of wisdom. Especially the part about not completely depriving your self of something. The more I tell myself I can't have something the more I want it!

  8. Wow! Congrats! And, very inspiring--thanks for sharing!

  9. 100 lbs! That's great! I'm not looking forward to losing the weight after this baby because my knees are bad and exercise isn't as easy as it used to be. I wish I could run marathons again because I LOVE to run! I will have to take up smimming or biking or something else with low impact.

  10. Mindie as a nurse who has seen people struggle with weight loss your story is such a shining beacon of hope! I can't tell you how many sad stories I hear or see around a hospital about people who end up in my care because of diet pills of crazy diets. I hope many people read this and realize that you CAN loose weight the way we health care professionals recommend.

  11. Congratulations and thanks so much for sharing, you go girl! Achieving this probably gave you more confidence, too, in other things. Yes, you can do it! Inspiring post!

  12. The first thing I said when I saw your picture was "she's gorgeous!" Then I copied the tater tot recipe, impressed by the healthy twist. Next I read your weight loss post. I am so impressed, like others are. I am an older diabetic under constant stress; find it hard to exercise. You really are a beacon and a mentor! Thanks for putting your story out there!! I like the way you are not self-pitying but you're not looking for rewards either. Just the right tone, not righteous, etc. You'll be an inspiration to me, too!

  13. Enjoyed reading your blog, which I stumbled across while looking for some lace headband material. I've lost 50 pounds over a two year period and now kept it off about 1 1/2 years. I don't know if I eat more than I did before, but I do know that I can eat a good healthy amount and maintain my weight. You are right that exercise is important.


Mathew 7:12
So in everything, do to others what you would have them do to you.