My Shop!

Monday, June 13, 2011

Covered Ribbon Button (Tackle It Tuesday Tutorial)



I bring you craft tutorials all the time and have decided to try and stick to a schedule.  So from this point on I hope to always have a Tackle It Tuesday Tutorial for you all to enjoy.  If you miss a week, don't worry you can always head to the top of the blog under the crafts and fashion page and find the ones you missed.
I don't know about you but I am loving the fact that fabric button earrings and fabric button bobby pins are back in style and in a big way. You might know already how to make them. Some of my favorite designs have whimsical prints with small detail. Often you can find ribbon with adorable small detailed prints. However ribbon even with a small size 20 button as we are using in this tutorial today tend not to be large enough to cover the button completely. Well I came up with a solution.  Use that small ribbon with the adorable print you love and add a larger piece of sheer ribbon to cover it.

What you will need:

Size 20 flat back button (perfect for making bobby pins and earrings).
A small square of your ribbon with the design that you like.
A larger piece of sheer ribbon, if ribbon has wire in it, you will want to cut it out.
Bobby Pin (or you could make earrings with earring findings)
Two piece Button Starter Kit
Hot glue

Take your button and top it with your small ribbon and then sheer, good side facing out.  Push it into the button kit, it will fit snug.  Then trim any excess sheer ribbon off, you just need enough to cover the back.
Push the ribbon in so that you can add the back to the button.  Then use the blue kit piece to snap the back on.  Then remove button from the white piece of kit.  It will pop out easily.  Now you can use your button for earrings or for a bobby pin as I did today.  BTW I have these cute little pigs in earrings too!


Add the hot glue to the back of button not the earring post or bobby pin.  Can you tell my hot glue gun has been loved a lot. 

Here are a few button earrings and bobby pins I have available at my shop TLC Creations.

Set of Purple Button Earrings & Bobby PinsSet of Pink Fabric Button Earrings & Bobby Pins

These at my shop I made with fabric but it's nice to know you can use ribbon too. 

What are you tackling this Tuesday?

This post is linked to:
http://christinasadventures2010.blogspot.com/
(SEE My Link Ups N Hops Page For Buttons)

9 comments:

  1. I have no idea what I am still doing on this computer at this hour! We have Basketball Camp and Swim Team in the morning. BUT I love these. I really need to try this out!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awww so cute! =)

    http://pinkchampagnefashion.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love these! I never actually thought of using some sort of a patterned piece of fabric (like a pig!) on it. I really need to try this! I've got all the materials waiting for me!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm your 590th follower! Woohoo!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a cute stuff...just love it! Beautiful space you got here! Hope to see you on my blog:)

    Sanghamitra.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hehe! The lil piggy makes me squeal! He's too cute.

    Cheers,
    Tracy Screaming Sardine

    ReplyDelete

Mathew 7:12
So in everything, do to others what you would have them do to you.