My Shop!

Thursday, August 25, 2011

DIY Lighted Home Accent And More

Ever since we had Nicole from Crafty Soccer Mom on Bacon Time share her adorable gumball holder DIY project, I have been wanting to try making one of my own.  I have been trying to avoid candy, so I put my own twist on it.  My son and I worked on this together. 

 It's a great project to have the kids help.  I let my son pick out the color of spray paint used.  To be honest I was hoping he would pick white, so that I could easily change it up to work as a holiday accent throughout the year.  He ended up picking blue, but I know I will be able to make it work for Summer and patriotic holidays, as well as Christmas.  Instead of filling ours with gumballs we filled it with glass gems, battery operated tea lights, and glass votive holders (all found at the dollar store).  The great thing about this project is you can change it up to work for any holiday.  You could always fill it too with Christmas ornaments, silk flowers, candy, cookies, lemons and limes, potpourri, you get the idea.  You could even add a nice bow to the outside too complement your theme.  I know I will be filling ours with cookies at Christmas time for Santa, and adding a nice blue and silver Christmas bow.  I didn't take pics of the process because Nicole did such a great job in her tutorial post HERE.  The only thing we did differently was use spray paint instead of terracotta paint, used a small mushroom cabinet door knob for the top handle on lid, and used a thick glass vase found in the fish department at Walmart.. Thanks again for the inspiration Nicole, hope you like our twist.





I switched up the candle arrangement as you can see in this pic.  I used one long stemmed tea light holder (also from the dollar store).


It looks really pretty at night all lit up (if I do say so myself). If you try making one of these too, we would love to hear and see it at Bacon Time.  Just leave a comment and link below.


6 comments:

  1. This is such a great idea! I bet it looks beautiful at night all lit up! Very creative!

    ReplyDelete
  2. GORGEOUS! I totally love it...and you totally nailed it by saying you can fill it up with anything. For instance, I made one for my Dad for his birthday, and filled it up with peanuts, his favorite. So good for you for getting totally crafty with it, and I adore your spin off. Kudos Mindie! I actually used Acrylic Paint, but Terracotta paint would work great too. Spray paint is even better, quicker and smoother. I love the blue that your son picked out, its a beautiful color and I think you will be able to do wonders with it. Did you see my shout out on my blog last night? Crafty Soccer Mom thinks Bacon time is pretty awesome :)
    Nicole
    Craftysoccermom.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Okay this is going on my (growing!) to-make list! I love it! thanks for coming to link up at this week's weekend wow me party. Hope to see you next weekend!

    ReplyDelete

  4. Thanks for sharing such kind of nice and wonderful collection......Nice post Dude keep it up.

    I have appreciate with getting lot of good and reliable and legislative information with your post......
    essential home accents

    ReplyDelete
  5. I found your blog when I was looking for a different sort of information but I was very happy and glad to read through your blog. The information available here is great
    essential home accents

    ReplyDelete

Mathew 7:12
So in everything, do to others what you would have them do to you.