My Shop!

Tuesday, September 6, 2011

Tackle It Tuesday $2 Pillows DIY

I need some color!

Our living room is filled with brown leather furniture, brown hard wood floors, a brown wicker chest, and well you get the idea a lot of the same color.  I wanted a nice pop of color for some pizazz, but didn't want to spend a lot of money.  I ended up making these pillows for about $2 a piece.  They are made out of bandannas found at Walmart for a $1.00 a piece.  I know I can't be the first one to have done this, but I wanted to share my pillows and how I made them super easy.  In fact I made four pillows in about an hour.

Now don't plan on these bandannas matching up on either side.  They most likely won't.  They appear to be cut by hand and are each a bit different in size.  Which is why I decided to go for a real casual look, leaving a bit of a ruffle all around the edges.  Instead of sewing together and reversing right side out, as you would a typical pillow, I started with the right side out.  I used the border of the print on each pillow to guide my seems.  I sewed three and a half sides together, then stuffed, then finished sewing on my machine. It is a bit harder to sew on your machine when stuffed, but it is possible, and much quicker then by hand (at least for me it is).  I stuffed my pillows with old pillows that we were not using anymore.  I simply cut them open and removed the stuffing.  Now my living room has some color, and my linen closet is a bit less full, momma happy.  Not to mention, when my boys have their daily pillow fights, I won't have to be to upset, after all they only cost $2 each.

Tip Junkie handmade projectsSee my Linky Love page on right side bar for the places I play!


  1. LOVE IT! That white bandana is the one I used for one of those headbands I posted last week. That is a fabulous idea to make pillows out of them, genius! We too have dark brown everything, so I may just have to try this..I'll post a link back to your blog for credit. Have a fabulous day!

  2. How weird! I'm getting ready to make some pillows out of these awesome handkerchiefs I just found!


Mathew 7:12
So in everything, do to others what you would have them do to you.