My Shop!

Monday, January 30, 2012

Easy Valentine's Day Breakfast


I can spend hours in the kitchen, preparing a fancy meal, but inevitably it's the easy recipes, like this one, that my kids enjoy the most.  It just goes to show that it doesn't take a lot of work or time to prepare a meal that is filled with love.  These baked ham and Swiss cheese breakfast sandwiches were super easy.  Not wanting to waist the little heart shaped dough I cut out of the center, I sprinkled them with cinnamon and sugar, so everyone had a little sweet treat on their plate.
Ingredients:
(makes 8 sandwiches)

1 Package of Flaky Refrigerated  Biscuit Dough (the flaky is easy to separate and works best)
Deli Sliced Lean Ham (1 or 2 slices for each sammy)
Deli Sliced Reduced Fat Swiss (1 slice for each sammy)

Cinnamon and Sugar (for the little hearts)
Directions:

Preheat oven according to package directions for biscuits.  I could not find my small heart cookie cutter, so I had to cut the hearts by hand with a sharp knife, but a cookie cutter would be faster. You won't cut through the entire biscuit dough, you will actually pull them apart so that you have 16 rounds, instead of 8.  Then cut out a heart in only 8 of them, for the top of your sammies.  Assemble your sandwiches by placing your bottom piece of dough down, then cheese, which you will want to fold in quarters to make it fit, then your ham, and finally your top piece of dough with the heart in it.  I baked mine on a parchment lined cookie sheet, for the time recommended on the package of dough.  I used the parchment paper so I wouldn't have to worry about any cheese burning onto my cookie sheet.

Tip for baking the mini heart biscuits:
The dough hearts I baked up at the same time. I first sprinkled them with a little sugar and cinnamon. Since they are smaller they will bake up quicker. To balance out the cooking time, I  put them in the center of my parchment lined large cookie sheet, and kept the sandwiches on the outer sides of the sheet.  Since items in the center usually take a little longer to bake, this balanced out my cooking time, and the hearts were done when the sammies were done.  Remember to leave room on your baking sheet for the dough to expand a little  as it bakes.

I hope you will share your Valentine inspired recipes and crafts at our 
Crafting and Cooking From the Heart Contest .
(see right side bar for picture link)

To see where I party, check out my LINKY LOVE page.

14 comments:

  1. I'm going to remember this and make it, too- tfs!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such a great breakfast idea!!
    A few blog friends and I are hosting our first link party tomorrow to finish off the Imagine the Impossibilities Challenge, we go live at 7amET. Today I revealed my project for the challenge, a gallery wall with only one screw in the wall. It would be great if you have a chance to check it out and link up! http://thespacebetweenblog.wordpress.com/2012/01/30/the-one-screw-gallery-wall-is-here/
    Karah @ thespacebetweenblog = your newest follower

    ReplyDelete
  3. My kiddos love the easy recipes better - this would be a hit at our home! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ooooh, I bet I would love these even better than my kiddos! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a cute idea! I'm not a big fan of Valentine's Day but this would be great anytime.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love your idea! Would you come over to Cast Party Wednesday and share it with us? http://www.ladybehindthecurtain.com/?p=23692
    Thanks,
    I hope to see you there!
    ---Sheryl---

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am pretty sure my kids would love this! I don't make them a hot breakfast very often. Usually we have breakfast for dinner. These work either way!

    ReplyDelete
  8. My family would love this! Thanks for sharing.


    Mrs. Delightful recently posted: My Memories Giveaway @ ourdelightfulhome.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. So cute! I would love for you to link up at my Valentines party @ www.cheapcraftymama.com!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Um this looks so good and like a fun Valentine's idea! I found you from the Drab to Fab Linky party.
    I would love to have you link up to my Recipe Roundup- my favorite recipe from each week gets one month free advertising on my sidebar!
    http://morebangforyourbucks.blogspot.com/2012/02/prayer-request-and-recipe-round-up-3.html

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love this idea! This would make a great quick breakfast for Vday, especially since it is on a week day! Thanks for sharing at Mrs Foxs Sweet Party :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Aww, so cute. I would have never thought of this :) Thanks for linking up!

    ReplyDelete
  13. This looks so yummy! I would love for you to visit my new food blog, The Sweet Spot, and link up your recipes to my Mouthwatering Monday Link Party!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Quick and delicious breakfast! Thanks for sharing! Thanks so much for joining us on "Strut Your Stuff Saturday." We loved having you and hope to see you back next Saturday with more great ideas and recipes! -The Sisters

    ReplyDelete

Mathew 7:12
So in everything, do to others what you would have them do to you.