My Shop!

Monday, February 13, 2012

Mindie's Semi Homemade Meal Replacement Ice Cream!


Oh yes I did!
That's right, meal replacement ice cream.  Of course you can enjoy it as a dessert, which is what I recommend. I am calling it "meal replacement" because the main ingredient is two meal replacement shakes.  Guess what, it's super easy to make, and only requires 2 other ingredients! I have been experimenting making lighter healthier homemade ice cream, after winning a sweet new Cuisinart Frozen Yogurt, Ice Cream, and Sorbet maker from The Three Sweet Peas. The best part is, you can have soft serve ice cream ready in about 30 minutes.   Now back to our meal replacement ice cream.  We made chocolate, but I am sure you could use any flavor you like of the Slim Fast Shakes.   

Ingredients:

(makes approximately 5 servings or more, depends if you are eating it as a meal replacement or dessert)

2 (10 Fluid Ounce Bottles) of Slim Fast Shakes
10 Fluid Ounces of Milk (or 1 shake bottle filled with milk)
1 can (14 Ounces) of Fat Free Sweetened Condensed Milk


Put all of your ingredients into your ice cream maker. I used regular milk, not skim, but I would venture to say you could substitute, it just won't be as creamy. The shakes and milk should both be cold before you start. Follow the directions per your ice cream maker.  Ours took about 30 minutes for soft serve.  After  30 minutes I removed the ice cream from the machine and put it in an air tight container.  Then I let it harden in the Freezer.  Of course my son didn't let me get all of it put away, he enjoyed a thick creamy ice cream shake first. 

For picture sake, I topped it with some store bought fat free chocolate syrup, but that's optional of course. 
I would love to hear if you are going to try this recipe.  Let me know what shake flavor you would try it with first. 

Note: this obviously is not a low sugar dessert, since Slim- Fast and sweetened condensed milk both have a lot of sugar in them.  It is however reduced in fat since you are avoiding using the heavy cream most ice cream calls for.  It's also a dessert that offers some protein, fiber, vitamins, and minerals, not always easy to find, and I think that's pretty cool.


Please join us for our Friday - Monday Anything Goes linky!
To see where I party, check out my LINKY LOVE page. 

15 comments:

  1. This sounds like my kind of meal :) Looks delish and figure friendly :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Pinned this!!! It's awesome! Have a great day!

    Marilyn
    4you-withlove.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. What?! That's awesome! I want one for breakfast, lunch and dinner!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am going to have to try this out some day.
    I am inviting you come and be part of my blog hop:
    http://juliejewels1.blogspot.com/2012/02/lobster-stuffed-mushrooms-show-your.html

    ReplyDelete
  5. Girlfriend....you are so smart! What a great idea :)
    Nicole
    Craftysoccermom.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. I was going to try this with Nestle's Instant breakfast for my daughter who really doesn't like to drink the shakes. It's good to know that this works, I'm going to give it a shot.

    I used to babysit for a lady that mixed the powder slim fast with cool whip to make a mousse because she didn't like the shakes. I never compared the nutritional difference between the two though.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This looks so great! Great replacement!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This looks super yummy!! I'd take ice cream over a sandwich any day for lunch;) I'd love for you to share this at my new link party.
    Rachel
    http://adventuresofadiymom.blogspot.com/2012/02/terrific-tuesday-2-and-features.html

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh how cool! What a fantastic idea! I'm all about icecream for dinner.:)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow, how fun! I am going to try this out. I pinned it :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love this! We have our Kitchen Fun and Crafty Friday Link Party going on now and would love for you to share this! http://kitchenfunwithmy3sons.blogspot.com/2012/02/kitchen-fun-and-crafty-friday-link_16.html

    ReplyDelete
  12. This looks so good! Thanks for coming to our "Strut Your Stuff Saturday." We loved having you and hope you'll be back next Saturday! -The Sisters

    ReplyDelete
  13. oh my!
    Thanks for linking up to Serenity Saturday Link Party

    Natasha xx

    serenityyou.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  14. A butt load of sugar in the sweetened condensed milk - fat free or not. Totally defeats the purpose of the "Slim Fast" shake.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anonymous I totally get ya, I understand there is a lot of sugar in sweetened condensed milk as there is a lot of sugar in Slim Fast too, sugar is actually the third ingredient in Slim Fast. What I like about this recipe is that it doesn't have all the fat from heavy cream like in most ice cream, plus it has added protein, fiber, vitamins and minerals. As a hypoglycemic I don't worry too much about sugar because I never seem to get enough. It's the combination of protein and fiber in a dessert that I think totally rocks.

      Delete

Mathew 7:12
So in everything, do to others what you would have them do to you.