My Shop!

Wednesday, March 14, 2012

I Use To Be Addicted...

 
...to Diet Coke!
Really any diet soda was tasty to me.
I have talked about my weight loss on Bacon Time before, and if you missed it, check my right side bar for the photo link.  I don't want you to think that I am saying you can't lose weight and drink diet soda, because I am living proof that you can.  However I gave up diet soda about 3 weeks ago and I feel great!
 I don't know if you have heard recent reports that those who consume diet soda daily have a 40% greater chance of having issues of stroke or heart attack source.  Now as with most studies they stated that more research needed to be done, but it seemed like good motivation for giving it up completely.  Not to mention you can save money by drinking water instead of soda.

Other studies I have read seem to suggest that diet sodas may lead to weight gain.  Some suggest folks that drink diet soda make the assumption they can eat more and not gain weight, causing weight gain source.


image source


Other studies suggest that the artificial sweetener in diet sodas actually makes us hungrier source. Before giving up diet soda, I would have believed the first conclusion. However after giving up all diet soda, I must tell you that I have noticed less food cravings!!!  



Now is it a chemical reaction to no diet soda and less artificial sweetener in my system or is it a mind thing?  Am I simply wanting to eat less and healthier because I am feeling good about giving up Diet sodas?  I am leaning towards the first conclusion. That diet soda was actually making me hungrier.  

Take The No Diet Soda Pledge
So today I ask you, do you drink diet sodas, and if so do you want to give them up?  If so take the 
No Diet Soda Pledge with me, and leave a comment on this blog post.  I promise you can even email me at mindiehilton@gmail.com and I will talk you through your first craving for a diet soda.  To be honest I really thought it would be harder to give up, since I have drank diet sodas for years, but it hasn't been all that hard.  

TIP: If you are thinking of giving up diet sodas, you might want to switch to caffeine free diet sodas first, and then gradually eliminate all soda.  I already drank mostly caffeine free diet sodas before dropping them cold turkey.  That means I wasn't craving caffeine all day making it harder to give up.   Sometimes when you eliminate caffeine to quickly you can get a caffeine headache, I suggest a healthier alternative to the diet soda, a small glass of cold or hot ice tea to help quench your caffeine craving.  Keep in mind caffeinated teas generally have more caffeine then soda, so don't go over board.

21 comments:

  1. Way to go Mindie!!!!

    I'm following you via Linky Followers :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, that is really awesome! I am definitely addicted to Diet Coke. I cut down a little but, everytime I try to cut it out completely I fail. Good job for sticking with it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. TIP: If you are thinking of giving up diet sodas, you might want to switch to caffeine free diet sodas first, and then gradually eliminate all soda. I already drank mostly caffeine free diet sodas before dropping them cold turkey. That means I wasn't craving caffeine all day making it harder to give up. Sometimes when you eliminate caffeine to quickly you can get a caffeine headache, I suggest a healthier alternative to the diet soda, a small glass of cold or hot ice tea to help quench your caffeine craving. Keep in mind caffeinated teas generally have more caffeine then soda, so don't go over board. I hope you will take the pledge with me. Thanks for reading.

      Delete
  3. Humans should not drink anything other than water. And maybe milk and a bit of juice sometimes. (and wine, of course ;) I have not had any soda for a few years now, I just cannot drink it knowing that it's just an artificial/chemical cocktail containing no nutrients. In my 20s I was of course abddicted to Diet Coke (and I was living in the States), but no more :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks! I'm trying to decrease my diet pepsi consumption

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. TIP: If you are thinking of giving up diet sodas, you might want to switch to caffeine free diet sodas first, and then gradually eliminate all soda. I already drank mostly caffeine free diet sodas before dropping them cold turkey. That means I wasn't craving caffeine all day making it harder to give up. Sometimes when you eliminate caffeine to quickly you can get a caffeine headache, I suggest a healthier alternative to the diet soda, a small glass of cold or hot ice tea to help quench your caffeine craving. Keep in mind caffeinated teas generally have more caffeine then soda, so don't go over board. Thanks for reading.

      Delete
  5. I don't drink much soda, but it's possible I need to cut down on the CRAZY amount of coffee I've been drinking lately! lol

    Good job on cutting it out!
    --Katie
    @Creatively Living

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had to cut down on caffeine because it raises my blood pressure, actually makes my TMJ and pain from my degenerative disc disease worse, and actually makes me have panic attacks when I consume a to much. What I did to ween myself off to 1 cup of coffee a day is switch to half and half coffee, then eventually switched to decaf whenever I craved more then one regular cup a day. It really worked. You can also switch to hot or cold tea, it still has caffeine but usually not as much. Of course there are hundreds of great caffeine free teas out there, one of my faves is Bigelow's Apple Cider Tea, it's amazing, even my hubby loves it. He thinks it's relaxing too. Thanks for reading and hope some of these ideas help.

      Delete
  6. Today marks 1 week ago that Mr. B & I gave up Diet soda! Same concerns as yours plus the fact that it costs more than gas now!! Iced tea (unsweetened please) and water for us. Neither of us has missed it! No withdrawals at all. We join you in taking the No Diet Soda Pledge!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have given up soda...about 2 years now. WOW! I can't beleive it's been that long!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow good for you Mimi. Did you feel better after giving it up?

      Delete
  8. I've stopped drinking it a few times. Right now it's my go to when I'm really thinking I can't make it on my diet lol. I'll give it up again later!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is something I've been wanting to do for awhile, but just can't seem to stick to it! I drink 1 can a day and the rest of the time only water, but I just can't seem to give up that 1 can each day! I'll come back and read this tomorrow and do my best to take the pledge! Good for you!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm very impressed. That can't have been easy to do. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I am so proud of you!! I love your testimony! AND, the worst part about diet coke is aspartame! Check out what this ingredient can cause: http://younglivingoillady.com/home/aspartame-side-effects/
    This will also make you thankful!

    I hope your story speaks to others and motivates them to do the same. I love how you said, 'you feel great.' :)
    Blessings! Carrie @ http://younglivingoillady.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. Good for you stick with it....I was an addict too...but I havent had one in over a year now:)....and I don't miss them at all!

    ReplyDelete
  13. It's a great idea to give up soda, sugar or diet. I only feel worse when I [rarely] have a sip or two. Water with a little hunk of lemon squeezed into it is my favorite. And I find that if it's cool, rather than icy cold, I can get more of it down. Sugar is the culprit that sets up food cravings for me. FWIW.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love my diet coke. Love! My name is Brittany and I'm a diet coke-a-holic. That being said, your post is inspiring (as is your weight loss story)and I know I need to give it up. The pics are hilarious! Thanks for a good laugh! :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. great post! I gave up soda about a month ago and started losing weight too. I had been exercising and eating healthy but had not given up soda/regular coke and wasn't getting the results i wanted. then i decided to just take the plunge and quit cold turkey and ever since i did I started losing weight at a good steady rate. btw, thanks for stopping by my blog the other day and sharing your story with me, it really gave me encouragement, thanks :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Wow, great job. I have tried several times to quit drinking Diet Pepsi...it is one of my few guilty pleasure but would like to quit for various reasons. I read in one of the above comments that caffeine made the "pain from my degenerative disc disease worse"... Do you know if this is a common effect or something you have just noticed on your own??
    Thanks for the info and great job on your new healthy lifestyle!!

    ReplyDelete

Mathew 7:12
So in everything, do to others what you would have them do to you.