My Shop!

Sunday, March 25, 2012

Miniature Whisk Earring Tutorial And What I Am Wearing

After making 14 or more of these miniature whisks, experimenting with different wire gauge, and different methods of making them (glue, no glue, two pieces of wire, one, etc) I came up with a tutorial for what I feel is the easiest and prettiest way to make them.  Would you like to know how?

Here is what you need:

Beading Wire (for durability, I used the widest gauge I could find)
Hook Wire Earring Findings 
Needle Nose Jewelry Pliers
Flat Nose Jewelry Pliers
Wire Cutters
Small Dowel

Step 1
First you need to make the handles for your miniature whisks, like the two pictured above.  Wrap your wire nice and tight around the end of your dowel. I wrapped it around 13 times for each handle. You will use your wire cutters to cut your wire, then use your flat nose pliers to fold the end of the wire nice and tight around dowel, so it will be nice and smooth with no sharp edges.  Once you remove the spring you have made for the handle, you can use your flat nose pliers to squeeze it tighter together if you need to.

Step 2
Now to make the whisk portion, you will take your wire and wrap it around your two fingers.  I try to start out tight, and get gradually a littler looser as I wrap my fingers, wrapping at different angles as I go.  This will make it easier to shape into a whisk at the end.  You can wrap your fingers 4 or 5 times, I have made whisk with 4 loops, and 5 loops, and they both look adorable.  Cut the wire once your done, and slide off your fingers.

Step 3
Now that you have the wire off of your fingers, using your flat head pliers, crimp the end together only enough that it will be small enough to squeeze into your handle.  You will be using the end of 1 or 2 of your whisk loops to attach your earring finding hook too.  

Step 4
Squeeze the end into your handle it should be nice and tight.  If you used 5 loops instead of 4 for the whisk, you will have to pinch the ends in the step above closure and tighter together to fit them all into your handle, but they should all fit.

Step 5
Now using your needle nose pliers open your earring finding loop and slide it into one or two of the loops that were created when you made the whisk portion.  This will keep your whisk from ever falling apart, without having to use any glue or attempting to make them all in one piece of wire, which I tried several times, it's possible, but this is much easier and looks nicer.

Step 6
Now for what I think is the hardest and most time consuming part, shaping the wire loops to look like a whisk.  Sometimes this comes real easy, other times it takes several minutes to get it shaped right. No it doesn't need to be perfect, that's the beauty of handmade.  Each one is a little unique.  They remind me of my favorite old whisks handed down to me from my mom.


That's it,you are done, well you are done with one whisk, now repeat steps 2-6 to complete your pair of miniature whisk earrings! Of course you could use the whisk for making necklaces, charm bracelets,  ornaments, whatever you like.  You could probably even whisk up an omelet, but it would take a while

I decided to wear my new earrings out to dinner with the family. I wore them with my new $15 Ross dress that my husband picked out for me.  I don't wear bold prints like this often, but it was fun.  My hair has lightened up a lot.  Missing the darker burgundy/purple.  I am going to try and hold off until Summer before I change it again. 

Sorry the pics are not that great, my batteries died unexpectedly on my camera so I had to take some quick phone pics before we rushed off to dinner with the kids.

If you try this tutorial out I would love to hear about it.  You can come share your whisk earrings, projects, recipes and more at our Anything Goes Friday to Monday linky here at Bacon Time.

To see where I party, or to add your linky to my list, check out my Linky Love page!

46 comments:

  1. I may try this, very cute, never would have thought of something like this, thanks for the inspiration:)
    www.rockpaperscissorscreate.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. So adorable! I wouldn't have the patience...I'm not good with really little things.

    ReplyDelete
  3. those are so cute! nice job! and I love your outfit! you look great!!! kudos to your husband for picking out a sweet dress!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Super cute! I would like to make myself a little necklace like this:0)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, how darling! You are so very creative!
    Thanks for popping in to see me.
    be a sweetie,
    Shelia ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. OMGoodness, these are super cute! What a great idea! It would also make a really clever homemade ornament gift for chefs!

    (Hopped over here from the C.R.A.F.T. link party, hope you'll visit my page as well! http://feauxcajun.com) Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great idea! Thank you for this tutorial.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Very cute!
    I will have to try and make some.
    Thanks for the tutorial!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I can't wait to try this!! Thanks for the great tutorial!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Mindy, these are not only darling earrings, but would look great in a dollhouse kitchen! I'd use a jump ring instead of the earring hooks, so it could hang on the wall when not in use.
    Great idea, & thanks for the tutorial.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love these! They would be the perfect gift item, too. Great tutorial! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  12. They are amazing and I love how you have put step by step photos.

    ReplyDelete
  13. They look adorable. Thank you so much for sharing this cute idea. I have a bridal shower this saturday and the bride is a fanatic cook. I might need to try those as a gift.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Gonna try this soon. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love these! Whisks are one of my favorite things, and they just get cuter the smaller they get! Thanks for sharing the tutorial!

    citystitchin.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  16. If this is not the cutest thing, I don't know what is!! Joining via GFC. I'll catch up with your other social network sites ASAP. Have a great week!

    Erika @ southernbelleasanarmywife.com

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love these!! How darling! That omelet's gonna take a loooooong time, lol.
    Great work!

    ReplyDelete
  18. stumbled onto your blog via the blog hop and just wanted to leave you a little blog luv! Def LOVING the concept of those ear rings!
    http://infinitelifefitness.com
    http://mscomposure.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  19. Thanks so much for sharing! I'm definitely going to give this a go - they are so cute.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Those are too cute!! Thanks for sharing that lovely tutorial!! :) Happy Friday! {ps would love if you'd stop by my blog sometime too!} I'm going to look around a bit more here! Thanks
    xo
    Holly

    ReplyDelete
  21. Those earrings are so cool. I will be featuring this on my link party on Sunday!

    Doranda
    www.watchoutforthewoestmans.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  22. How cute are those??? You're so smart!
    Warm wishes, Brittany

    ReplyDelete
  23. These earrings are great. Thanks for the tutorial.

    ReplyDelete
  24. thank you for your tutorial for such cute original earrings.

    ReplyDelete
  25. :-) These are SO CUTE. I can't wait to make them for a couple of my culinary expert friends. Thanks for the fun tutorial!

    ReplyDelete
  26. My ears aren't even pierced and I love these. So cute!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Love, love, love these! Fantastic idea!

    Thanks for linking it up!
    --Katie
    @ Creatively Living

    ReplyDelete
  28. Love it! What a cute idea!

    ReplyDelete
  29. I featured this today! it's fantastic! http://www.kimboscrafts.blogspot.com/2012/04/shout-outs.html

    ReplyDelete
  30. Wow! How do you come up with this! Thank you so much for linking up with me at Drab to Fab last week! Hope you'll join me again with more of your great ideas!

    http://www.amynjesse.com/2012/04/drab-to-fab-link-up-11-features.html

    Have a great weekend :)

    Amy

    ReplyDelete
  31. thank you!!!!! I love this tutorial, you can find mine here http://1129designorecchinigioielli.blogspot.it/2012/04/e-se-le-uova-sono-strapazzate-orecchini.html happy easter from italy

    ReplyDelete
  32. this is so lovely! adorable earrings!

    ReplyDelete
  33. Perfect gift for foodie friends!

    ReplyDelete
  34. I just made two pairs and they are truly adorable! I used the widest gauge jewelry wire I could find (24) but will have to look for something larger. It was very easy to work with, but I'm afraid they will loose their shape entirely too easily. Thanks for this spectacular idea!

    ReplyDelete

Mathew 7:12
So in everything, do to others what you would have them do to you.