My Shop!

Monday, April 23, 2012

Kid Friendly B.A.T. Sandwiches and Vintage Baking Set

Sometimes you don't need a difficult recipe just a little creativity to make a meal fun and enjoyable for your kids.  This is nutritious sandwich that you and the kids will love to eat.  Inspired by this Summers new blockbuster film The Dark Night Rises, scheduled to release in July 2012, and a vintage 1977 baking set we own (pictured below),  I came up with this fun recipe. Of course it would be perfect for a Halloween gathering too. I originally had planned to use rye bread, so that the bats would be darker, but had to improvise since it was out of stock.  


Bacon, fully cooked
Avocado, sliced
Tomatoes, sliced
Bread, toasted (preferably a dark rye, we used whole wheat)
Mayo, we used fat free


Using a bat shaped cookie cutter, cut your toasted bread into bats.  We were able to get two bats out of each slice of bread. Add a little mayo, bacon, avocado, and tomato to complete your batty meal. 

Please enjoy this trailer of The Dark Night Rises coming out this Summer! It looks like it will be action packed. Although my sandwich is kid friendly, the new movie I believe will be rated PG-13. 

I stumbled upon this vintage 1977 baking set in our garage. My husband shared the sweetest story with me.  His dad made this Superman cake for him when he was five years old, and stayed up all night making little stars all over the cake in frosting.  I think a super hero cake maybe in our future this Summer too.

Please join us every Friday for our Anything Goes linky.
To see where I party, check out my LINKY LOVE page.


  1. The sandwich is adorable! That's one special cake mold.


  2. Yumm! Thanks for sharing. Must try!

  3. Cute little sandwhich. That story about the cake mold is priceless. Thank you for sharing.

  4. cute and fun recipe! thanks for linking with Kids in the Kitchen! I think it would be adorable to make a super hero cake for your hubs ;)

  5. Love it! Like the acronym too! What a great recipe to share and have the kids make at Kids in the Kitchen! Thanks for linking up with us! Have a great week and hope to see you again next Tuesday.

  6. How cute, and yummy too! That's so sweet about the Superman cake!

  7. I was just talking with a friend this week about putting avocado in a BLT! I can't eat tomatoes so I don't make BLTs... my friend suggested Avocado- I need to give this a try!

    I'd love it if you'd link up to Food Adventure Friday!

  8. I could tell by the thumblink that the sandwich is in the shape of a bat, but I LOVE the acronym. That is too fun. Thanks so much for sharing at Whimsy Wednesdays!

  9. Love that baking set, great looking sandwich thanks for sharing it on foodie friday.

  10. I've not put avocado on my blt. Gonna try that. The shape is so fun for kids. Thanks so much for linking up at I Gotta Create! <3 Christina

  11. That sandwich is freaking Amazing!!! You've gotta get your hubby to make the cake, what an amazing tradition you can pass on to your kids!!

  12. Cute and Yummy. Thanks for sharing this with us this week at the Sunday Round Up Link Party.
    See you next week,
    Rose @

  13. Oh wow! This looks delicious!! Thanks for sharing at my party! Have a great week :)

  14. What a neat idea!
    Thanks for sharing at Sunday Round Up.

  15. LOVE this - I have a batman cutter from Halloween - I am sure it would get the kids more excited about sandwiches!
    Thanks for sharing - Lowri

  16. Love the Bat sandwich!! We loved having you at our "Strut Your Stuff Saturday!" Hope you'll be back soon!! -The Sisters

  17. We totally had the same superman cake pan growing up!! I think my mom still has it!! Great ideas as always, girl


Mathew 7:12
So in everything, do to others what you would have them do to you.