My Shop!

Looking For Something? Search This Blog.

Loading...

Saturday, April 14, 2012

Money Saving Homemade Almost Kashi Whole Grain Chocolate Oatmeal Cookies


A Bacon Time reader by the name of  Lorie Krajewski recently emailed me with a challenge.  She wanted to know if I could come up with a recipe similar to Kashi's Oatmeal Dark Chocolate Soft-Baked Cookies.  She personally loves the cookies, but at around 50 cents a piece, she was hoping to find a more affordable way to satisfy her craving for the wholegrain treat.  I think I came up with a recipe that is very similar tasting to the Kashi cookies. 
 The good news is that my homemade whole grain cookies cost almost half the price of the store bought cookies. When I gave a blind taste test to my husband and two boys, the homemade cookies were a unanimous favorite.

 Kashi's cookies cost me in the store $3.99  for a box of 8 cookies (that's about 50 cents a piece). Calculating the percentage of each item used that I purchased to make the cookies, I made 30 servings for about $8.37, making each of my similar treats only 28 cents each.  Note I purchased all of my ingredients for the cookies at Walmart.

Nutrition wise, my cookies are packed full of whole grains, like Kashi.  My cookies did end up being more calories then the Kashi brand, Kashi's are 130 calories a cookie, mine were about 193 per a cookie.  I think my cookies might have been a little bigger.  I also used a greater percentage of nuts I  am guessing then they did, adding more protein and calories to mine.  As a  hypoglycemic, I was happy with the added protein. TIP If you wanted to reduce the calories, you could simply add less nuts and a more oats.


Ingredients:

2 Cups of Unsifted (but not packed) All Natural Whole Wheat Flower
1 1/2 Cups of 100% Whole Grain Quick Oats
1  (12 ounce bag) of chocolate morsels
2 large eggs
1 (9 ounce can) mixed nuts, chopped finely
4 ounces of Unsweetened Apple Sauce
1/2 cup honey
5 Tbs Canola Oil
3 Tbs of unsalted butter, at room temperature
10 small packets of Truvia natural sweetener (or 20 teaspoons of sugar)
1 Tsp Vanilla Extract (I used Imitation Vanilla)
1 Tsp Salt

Directions:

Very Simple recipe, all you need to do is mix all of your ingedients together until well combined.  Then bake  your cookies at 375 F degrees for 14 to 15 minutes.


I really think my cookies taste better then Kashi cookies, but then fresh baked cookies are always hard to beat.

I hope everyone including Lorie enjoys this recipe.  If you try it and compare it to the Kashi cookies I would love to hear what you think in a comment below. 


30 comments:

  1. These sound delish! Pinned for later :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yum! I am so trying this! I like to try to make healthier versions of my favourite treats. Thanks for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This looks great. You are so clever to have figured this out. I can't wait to try it. Thanks for sharing at the Sunday Round Up.
    Rose @ http://www.arosiesweethome.com/

    ReplyDelete
  4. These look yummy! I would love for you to share this with my Unveil Your Genius link party! http://taylornorris.blogspot.com/2012/04/unveil-your-genius-link-party-6.html
    (New linky every Thursday...each linky runs for a week)

    Happy Sunday!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wholegrain and oatmeal? I'm there!

    ReplyDelete
  6. These cookies sound great, very healthy and delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yum These look so good! Thanks for sharing, pinning & trying these soon! :)
    -kayla

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am headed to the grocery store with the list in hand so I can treat my family with these! YUM! Thanks for sharing with us at Kids in the Kitchen. This is going to be a great recipe on our site, mom friendly and kid approved :) See you next week- Carrie@younglivingoillady.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. These look so good! Can't wait to make these myself, I can't always get my brain to work on how to make up my own recipes.
    Thanks for linking up to Sunday Round Up!
    xoxo
    Heather

    ReplyDelete
  11. Those look SO yummy! I would love for you to share this (and any other creations) at "Pin It and Win It Wednesday" @ www.cheapcraftymama.com!

    ReplyDelete
  12. These look fabulous and I love that you noted the calories. I try so hard someimes, but if I don't know I find there's no harm, which results in added pounds and the need for more running. Thanks so much for sharing at Whimsy Wednesdays at The NY Melrose Family .

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hello stopping by from the 36th avenue link party, I definitively have to try out your recipe. Thanks for sharing I have copied the instructions. Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  14. How much(using measuring cup or spoons) splenda baking mix which is half sugar, half splenda would I substitute for the
    10 packets of Stevia?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 10 packets of Truvia is equal to the sweetness of 20 teaspoons of sugar.

      Delete
  15. What a great recipe! Definitely want to try this one! Thanks for sharing at my party! Have a great weekend :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Healthy and delicious I like that combo. Thanks for sharing it on Foodie Friday. Grab our button if you haven't already and come back next week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do have the button it is on my kinky love page. Lol stupid auto correct it is ranked l I n k y love page.

      Delete
  17. Yummy, healthy and frugal is a great combo! Thanks for sharing at the Rock N Share!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I will be trying this one! I'm always looking for ways to make treats healthier. I haven't tried baking with Truvia yet, but with the addition of honey, I imagine the result would be quite sweet. Thanks for the recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  19. These look really good, I like how they cost so much less than the store kind. Thanks for sharing at Showcase Your Talent Thursday! I hope to see you there next week!

    ReplyDelete
  20. What an awesome recipe! Love the copycat healthy ones. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  21. I'm so anxious to try these out they just sound so good! You've been Featured at Sunday Round Up! come on over and grab a featured button! :) http://www.kaylascreationsblog.com/2012/04/welcome-to-our-6th-link-party.html
    -Kayla :)

    ReplyDelete
  22. If its healthy theres fewer calories, right?? Lol! Thanks so much for linking up at I Gotta Create! <3 Christina

    ReplyDelete
  23. These look yummy! I have added them to my baking to do list!

    ReplyDelete
  24. These look so yummy! Thanks for sharing this yummy recipe! We loved having you link up to our "Strut Your Stuff Saturday." Please join us again next week! Thanks! -The Sisters

    ReplyDelete
  25. One day I will be like you and have the courage to invent wonderful new recipes like this! Thanks for sharing it.


    Have a lovely weekend :)


    Amy @ Sugar and Spice

    ReplyDelete
  26. Sounds like a great recipe and I'll have to try it. However, you're missing the 7 whole grains that Kashi features in their cookies and which are a big draw for me. You could easily remedy this by substituting some of the nuts and oats with a 7 grain cereal like Bob's brand. When I make mine, this is what I'll be doing. :)

    ReplyDelete

Mathew 7:12
So in everything, do to others what you would have them do to you.