My Shop!

Saturday, April 28, 2012

My Vintage Photo Shoot, Back To Blonde, & Sizing Vintage




If you have been following along, you may remember that I recently bid on a vintage dress from this fabulous Ebay shop called Park Avenue Pin Up.  Needless to say I won the auction. Unfortunately when the dress arrived it was to big, so I had to put my sewing skills to the test.  I had never altered a dress before.  It didn't turn out perfect, but for a first time alteration I think I did alright. 


 
As you can see it was stunning on the mannequin but quite frumpy on me.  Knowing that vintage clothing sizes run 4-6 sizes smaller then current sizes, I thought the dress would fit. I was wrong, but at least there was more dress then needed, and not the other way around, so it was fixable.  My advice to those wanting to buy vintage is if possible make sure to try the item on.  If you can't try it on, and are bidding in an online auction like I was, make sure to pay close attention to the measurements.  For example Marilyn Monroe was a size 12, however if Marilyn were around today, and was to purchase new, she would be a size 6-8. I want to state I have no complaints with the seller. She did a wonderful job of describing the garment. I simply should have shopped for a smaller size.

I had fun on PicMonkey turning some of the pics into black and whites. Besides my new vintage dress I am wearing my vintage-y shoes, they are the same pair I wore to my wedding 12 years ago.  I am also wearing a red bottle cap flower necklace that I made. You can find the bottle cap necklace tutorial here.



Notice the great monogrammed tote.  My sweet blog buddy Jen from Frazzled Five made it for me. Thank you so much for the sweet gift.  It was the perfect accessory for this fun vintage photo shoot.  Besides my great new tote, I thought it would be fun to use my new to me vintage Samsonite suitcase from
 Junque In The Trunque on Etsy. I purchased the suitcase to use as a display at craft shows, so you will see more of this fun luggage this Summer.


If you have not noticed yet, I am back to blonde! I felt silly with the big curly hair, but it seemed appropriate for this style shoot.  I really loved the red/purple hair I had, however it was fading so fast. Every Summer my hair tends to lighten up from the sun a lot, since I enjoy hiking outdoors, so I thought it would be best to go back to the blonde for now.  I was really hoping for a platinum blonde, however the red did not want to come out completely.  It's more of a strawberry blonde now.


I want to thank my wonderful and talented husband Jerry Hilton for photographing this vintage shoot. It's always nice getting dressed up and spending sometime with him, which is why I keep sharing each week a what I wore fashion post.  I hope you enjoy them too. 

Please join us each week for our Anything Goes linky that runs every Friday to Monday.

To see where I party check out my LINKY LOVE page.

27 comments:

  1. You look great! Love the dress and the hair!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I Love that dress, what a great find.....And you pics are awesome too :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mindie, you look awesome! I love the dress and shoes, but especially your hair!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Freaking adorable! Seriously, you look fantastic. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love IT! Thanks for sharing this with us this week at the Sunday Round Up Link Party.
    See you next week,
    Rose @ http://www.arosiesweethome.com/

    ReplyDelete
  6. Totally AWESOME! You did an amazing job and look unbelievably good!!!

    XO, Aimee

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for linking up at www.watchoutforthewoestmans.blogspot.com I had no idea about vintage sizing and I will have to keep that in mind.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Vintage looks amazing on you!
    Thanks for sharing at Sunday Round Up.
    xoxo
    Heather

    ReplyDelete
  9. That dress was such a great find! You look gorgeous :)
    It is so hard to get colour out of hair! I used to dye mine all kinds of crazy colours and once in the process of removing blue dye (to do a different dye job) I ended up with celery green hair!

    ReplyDelete
  10. You make a fabulous Park Avenue Pin Up!

    ReplyDelete
  11. You look great! Great job on the dress too!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love your dress,great pictures :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. The dress looks lovely on you! Nice job.
    ~FringeGirl

    ReplyDelete
  14. Great dress! I love the red belt, it looks great how you put the whole look together.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Stunning!!!! Stopping by from Southern Lovely Show and Share :-)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh what fun to have a photo shoot with your husband. You look like a beautiful model.

    Dee

    ReplyDelete
  17. Great shots! Love the dress and the hair is just so Marilyn! Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I have three vintage dresses of my grandmothers that are too big for me. You're giving me hope that someday I can alter them to fit! Would love to hear more about how you did the alterations!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I love the dress. You are very talented with your sewing skills. I loved the necklace as well. It worked perfectly. Thanks so much for sharing at Whimsy Wednesdays.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Love the dress and those shoes!! You did a great job with the alterations. Thanks so much for linking up at I Gotta Create! <3 Christina

    ReplyDelete
  21. Love, love, love that dress! It looks great on you! You did an awesome altering job!

    Thanks for sharing!
    --Katie

    ReplyDelete
  22. I'm on a vintage kick this week! I'm featuring you over at I Gotta Create! Thanks so much for linking up <3
    http://igottacreate.blogspot.com/2012/05/mother-lode-features-4-party-link.html

    ReplyDelete
  23. Mindie, you look great! Just like a calendar girl! I wish my hubs was as into taking the outfit pictures as yours. I havent done at WIW post in months, because I can't get a good picture :( He thought it was fun for the first few times, but I'm basically on my own now! I'm too lazy to go shopping for a tripod, so my WIW fast shall continue.

    Thanks for sharing this at last week's Drab to Fab party!

    This week's party is now live! Come on back and share more of what you have been working on! (Old or new)

    http://www.amynjesse.com/2012/05/its-time-to-get-our-inspiration-on-i.html

    Have a great weekend! :)

    Amy @ Sugar and Spice

    ReplyDelete
  24. Love the dress! It looks great!

    Tiffany Ima
    Style Honestly

    ReplyDelete

Mathew 7:12
So in everything, do to others what you would have them do to you.