My Shop!

Tuesday, April 10, 2012

Race Car Cake On The Fly!

Caterpillar Cupcake Cake  Race Car Cake!
Yes I had all the intentions of making a caterpillar cake, and at the last minute, I mean last minute, cupcakes almost all ready to go into the oven, the birthday boy changed his mind.  Since my boys birthdays are the one day each year I do my best to let them choose everything I make for them to eat, I didn't have the heart to say no.  So I made a race car cake on the fly and it actually turned out better then expected.  It was a cinch to make improvising with things I had on hand.
  Here is what I used:

1 box of cake mix plus eggs, oil, and water to prepare 
Note: I use cholesterol free egg product

1 container of frosting
(we used rainbow chip, that is why it looks so bumpy)

Food coloring (we used blue)

4 yellow hard chocolate candies 

chocolate sprinkles

Plastic Appetizer Fork




How To: 

You will bake one 5x9 cake and 1 dozen cupcakes.  You will have 8 cupcakes left over.
If you have white frosting that you are using, you can set a little aside to use as your windshield, then color the rest whatever color you want your car to be with food coloring. Since I only had rainbow chip frosting on hand, I had to improvise and make some royal frosting with powdered sugar and water, for the windshield.  I outlined the windshield with some royal frosting that I made slightly darker blue then the car.   I used plastic lunch bags as my piping bags. The base of the cake is a rectangular 5x9 cake.  The wheels are 4 cupcake tops only that have been frosted then dipped in chocolate sprinkles. The area of the car where the windshield is was made with the other half of one of the cupcakes used for a wheel. Once your 5x9 cake is cooled and frosted, you can stick your wheels covered in sprinkles onto the side, then add a little more frosting to cover any of the side of the cupcake that might be showing.  You simply have to push your yellow candies in the front and back sides of your cake for your headlights.  Then add your flag with whatever number birthday it is written on the side.

I can't believe my youngest is already 3!

Please join us each week for our Anything Goes Friday-Monday linky.
To see where I party check out my LINKY LOVE page.


  1. Oh, that is so cute! My mother in law made a race car cake as the groom's cake for our wedding long ago but I never stopped to think how to do it. Great instructions!

  2. That is one awesome race car cake, go Mom!

  3. Wow, good job! This looks really professional :)

  4. This is super cool and perfect for etiher one of nephews. thank you for sharing

  5. How cute and creative Mindie! Thanks for sharing! ;)

  6. Way to improvise, this is SUCH a cute cake!

  7. My son turns four next week, and I am totally going to use this!

  8. Good for you for changing on the fly like that. I think the wheels are adorable. I made a trash truck cake a few years back and used those choc covered min doughnuts. Those things were awful tasting and we threw the bag out. I think the cupcake tops would have been a much tastier choice.

    When my youngest son turned four he asked for a racing birthday party. I considered making a race car cake, but instead made a race track cake(which seemed easier in my mind) that I've now made twice. He is obesessed with all things racing. He even sleeps with a matchbox or two in his bed. Maybe yours does that too? Here's a photo of our racing birthday party.

  9. You did such an awesome job! Thanks for sharing.

    Mrs. Delightful

  10. Awesome! This is perfect for a little boy! Congrats on doing it on the fly! :]

  11. That turned out super cute. You're such a saint for letting your son change his mind.

  12. What a great looking cake. I might have freaked if my son changed his mind. Thanks for sharing it on Foodie Friday, see you next week.

  13. Happy birthday to your little man!! The cake is AWESOME!!!

  14. Happy Birthday! My baby is almost 2 and he would LOVE a cake like this! I'm going to share it on my PreschoolPowolPackets Facebook page!

  15. This cake looks great. It doesn't even look like you decided to make it last minute. Thanks for sharing at Showcase Your Talent Thursday. I hope to see you there next week!

  16. Vroom! Vroom! This cute little cake would make any little one's heart race! Thanks so much for sharing this creation at The Mother Lode linky party over at I Gotta Create!
    <3 Christina

  17. this is SO cute, my son would love this!

  18. How cool! I bet your son was thrilled! Great job! Amazing that you pulled that off 'on the fly'! Thanks for sharing at the Rock N Share.

  19. You did such an amazing job with the cake. I too believe that it's all about the birthday boy or girl. Thanks so much for sharing at Whimsy Wednesdays!

  20. Love it! Thanks for linking up to Sunday Round Up!

  21. The race car cake is awesome!! You are one talented mom!!! We're so glad that you linked up to our "Strut Your Stuff Saturday." We hope you'll be back soon. -The Sisters

  22. I actually think I could do this! Now all I have to do is have another baby and hope it's a boy so I can give it a whirl!

    Thanks so much for linking at Drab to Fab!

    Today's party link:

    Have a great weekend! :)



Mathew 7:12
So in everything, do to others what you would have them do to you.