My Shop!

Monday, May 14, 2012

Vintage Lace Necklace Tutorial




I have so many great jewelry tutorials up my sleeve for different items I have been making for my upcoming craft show. I decided I would share one of those with you today.  I have made a few different styles of vintage lace necklaces.  You can make these with really any type of lace, and with any embellishments that you want.  I scored some great vintage ivory lace and new I had to come up with some fun ways to incorporate it into my jewelry making.

Here is what you need:

Lace
All Purpose Elmer's Glue
Warm Water
Wax Paper
Scissors
Jewelry Chain
Jump Loops
Necklace Clasp
Hot Glue
Jewelry Pliers, flat nose and needle nose
Any Embellishments You Want (buttons, coins, cabochons, fabric flowers, charms etc.)

Directions:

Step 1:
Stiffening Lace
 Mix equal Parts of glue and warm water together, mix just what you need to cover your lace.  This will work similar to fabric stiffener spray, but cost a lot less.  Once your glue and water is mixed, take your desired piece of lace, and soak it in the mixture for a couple of seconds. Then gently squeeze lace to remove excess water and glue mixture. Lay lace down flat on your wax paper, and let air dry.  You will want to flip lace a few times during drying process to make sure it doesn't stick to the wax paper.

Step 2:
Assembling
Using your jewelry pliers attach your jump loops, chain, and clasp to your stiffened lace.

Step 3:
Embellish
Using your hot glue gone, attach any embellishments you want to your lace.  


Please share what you have been creating at our Anything Goes Friday linky party.

To see where I party, check out my Linky Love page.


17 comments:

  1. They look cute & beautiful, great post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my! These are just gorgeous. I love the lace as a background! You make the best stuff, Mindie!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those are cool!!
    How was your mother's day??

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is AWESOME! Thanks for sharing at the Talent Link Party! I adore the look of these and how they can be so different and personalized!!
    dginnovations.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh how pretty these necklaces look, love the vintage quality to them. I like the shape of these laces as pendants. Thanks for sharing the tutorial and for your sweet note. Have a lovely day!~Poppy

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the Victorian look of these necklaces. Thank you for the recipe for fabric stiffener. The "store-bought" kind can get expensive.

    Distressed Donna Down Home

    ReplyDelete
  7. These are so cute! Thanks so much for linking up to Creative Thursday this week. Have a wonderful weekend.

    Michelle

    ReplyDelete
  8. great idea, I have some remnants of my grandmothers jewelry that would be great embellishments! thanks for sharing this!

    ReplyDelete
  9. These are so elegant! Love them all!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Neat idea! They look just beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm excited to be a new follower! I would love you to follow me back at http://iheartpears.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. Using lace in a necklace -- creative idea! Looks so delicate and vintage :)

    <3 Christina
    http://igottacreate.blogspot.com
    Thanks so much for linking up at the Wildly Original Round Up linky party!

    ReplyDelete
  13. very pretty! Thanks so much for linking up to Sunday Round Up!
    -Kayla :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. I would love for you to share this on my linky party!
    http://www.igottatrythat.com/p/blog-hop-linky-colde.html
    Thanks, Marcie

    ReplyDelete
  15. Very pretty! Thanks for linking up! Hope to see you again this week.

    ReplyDelete
  16. How sweet! So unique and different!

    Thanks for linking up with me at last week's Drab to Fab! Hope you'll come back this week and link up again. I love seeing what you're up to!

    http://www.amynjesse.com/2012/05/drab-to-fab-link-up-features.html

    Amy @ Sugar and Spice

    ReplyDelete

Mathew 7:12
So in everything, do to others what you would have them do to you.