My Shop!

Tuesday, June 19, 2012

Tutorial Interchangeable Beaded Bracelets, Necklaces, or Anklets

My pictures today are going to show you how I made an interchangeable beaded bracelet. You can apply these same techniques to make an anklet or necklace, you will simply use more beads, chain, and jewelry wire when you do.  I love making interchangeable jewelry because you save money using less jewelry chain, and take up less space in your jewelry box. 

Materials Used:

Jewelry Chain
Jewelry Screw Clasp Rings
Jewelry Wire

Wire Cutters
Flat Nose Jewelry Pliers
Needle Nose Jewelry Pliers

This is really the most important thing to remember.  To make these truly interchangeable, you need to remember when you are attaching your jewelry screw clasp findings, that you put the "outies" and "innies" in the right places.  I am not sure if "outies" and "innies" is the proper term to use, but you get the point.


The length of wire you need will depend on if you are making a bracelet, anklet, or necklace.  It will also very depending on the ratio of beads to chain you desire to use.  You will need two even pieces of wire, and  an even number of beads for each one.  That way when you interchange them, the size will be the same.  Using your needle nose pliers, make a loop on one end of the wire.  I made a double loop, because my wire was thin, and I wanted it to be durable.  Attach your "innie" to it, and repeat for your other set of beads.  String your beads on both of your wires.  When you are done stringing, simply make loops on the end again with your needle nose pliers, and attach an "innie" again to each loop.  You may want to use your flat nose pliers to tighten your loops.  The hardest part is done.  Now you need to attach your chain.  Attach an "outie" to each end of the chain.   Now you will be able to unscrew your clasps and interchange between your two different strands of beads! 

Since my jewelry wire was thin, I made two loops for durability.

I added a complete clasp to the middle of my chain, because I liked how it looked, but since there is already a way to open and close the bracelet, you don't need to do this step.

 Two fun looks and less material used! Now I didn't use very much chain for this tiny bracelet, but when making long necklaces, that chain can really add up.  That's when you will save even more money, and space in your jewelry box.

Well that's what I have been making, what have you been up to?  Please come share at our Anything Goes linky every Friday to Monday. 
To see where I party, check out my Linky Love page.


  1. Love this thrifty idea. I'm pinning it! Thanks!


    Check out this store for great jewelry making supplies. Great prices too.

  3. What a great idea! I love them both. Visiting from Rae Gun Ramblings! I wanted to invite you to my fashion linky party...Id love for you to share this and join in!


  4. Mindie! This is such a cute idea! I love the versatility. Going my my to-do list. You're such a smart woman. =)

  5. Mindie,
    Love this! I love that you can change up the color scheme to match your outfits. Definitely going to make some of these. Thanks so much for linking up to Creative Thursday last week. I can't wait to see what you link up this week. Have a wonderful weekend.


  6. This really is great! Love interchangeable jewelry! Thanks for linking up to "Strut Your Stuff Saturday!" We hope to see you again! -The Sisters

  7. I featured your Bracelets today at my linky party! I love it!! Stop by and link something up again!

  8. Newest follower here. Found you on Pinterest. Check out my blog too when you get a minute and feel free to use the tabs the top of the post to put a button to your blogs page, and a button to your handmade shop on the shops page, if you have a shop.


Mathew 7:12
So in everything, do to others what you would have them do to you.