My Shop!

Saturday, June 9, 2012

What I Wore To A Costume Party & DIY Spongebob Costume Turtorial

My husband and I were invited to a costume party. Everyone was supposed to come as their favorite cartoon character.  I decided to go as Spongebob. I knew I could make my own costume, and save a little money.  The great thing is, you just might have everything you need for a Spongebob costume already on hand.  All it takes is a pair of brown shorts or skirt, white top, red tie, black shoes, blue and white cap, white socks, and some permanent markers. I love to accessorize, so of course I completed my Spongebob look with some fun glasses, a name tag, spatula, and jewelry. 

What you need:

Blue and White Dollar Store Hat
Blue Permanent Marker
White Collared Shirt
Red Tie
Brown Shorts or Skirt
White Long Socks
Red Permanent Marker
Black Shoes

 Spongebob Name Tag
Black Plastic Glasses
Black Belt


You may have lots of these items already on hand.  If not be sure to check your thrift store and local dollar store first.  By hand draw your anchor in blue permanent marker onto your hat.  Then draw a blue stripe, and next a red stripe, with permanent markers, onto your white socks.  If you choose to wear glasses, which Spongebob occasionally wears, you will want to go with a pair of nerdy black frames.  I found mine at Walmart for $5, I probably should have checked the Dollar Store first.  I popped the tinted lenses out of mine.   That's really all there is to it.  Certainly one of the easiest homemade costumes I have made.   Of course I love making jewelry and wearing accessories. It just so happens that I had already made some hamburger earrings and rings.  Of course they were the perfect "Crabby Patties" to wear that night.  If you would like to purchase either, they are not yet in my shop, but I would be happy to make a hamburger ring or earrings for you, just email me at that's what I wore, what have you been wearing?  Please join us each Friday for our Anything Goes linky.  

To see where I party check out my Linky Love page.


  1. Cute! Very creative idea:)


  2. SpongeBobbie! I love your costume!

  3. My kids love SpongeBob, I'm sure I'll end up making one of these sometime!

  4. Oh that is SO much cuter than Sponge Bob!! ;)
    Thanks so much for linking up at I Gotta Create!
    <3 Christina

  5. haha that is so funny!! My students would LOVE it if I dressed up like Spongebob for halloween one year :)

    Thanks for linking to "20 Below Thursday"! :)

  6. I'm one of the co-hosts of the Summer Fun party you linked up to this summer and wanted to say thanks for linking up there! I also wanted to let you know I've featured this project on my blog this evening, you can go check it out if you'd like and grab a "Featured" button :)


Mathew 7:12
So in everything, do to others what you would have them do to you.