My Shop!

Friday, December 20, 2013

DIY Recycled Cans And Socks Collapsible Textured Snowmen

I had so many more Christmas crafts to share with you all this holiday, however I am running out of time. I guess they will keep for my Christmas in July posts in the new year. I do want to make time for one more this year. I couldn't resist sharing our Snowmen made out of trash. Now I have seen recycled can snowmen on the web before, however I have never seen any made like these. We used a light coat of white spray paint, a coat of spray glue, a sprinkling of fake snow, and spray glitter to create our textured snowmen. The end result is quit charming, if I do say so myself. To make these even more frugal, the hats and scarves are made from 1 pair of old Dollar Store Christmas socks! 


Clean Empty Cans In 3 Different Sizes Labels Removed
White Spray Paint
Elmer's Craft Bond Multipurpose Spray Glue Or Similar Product
Fake Snow
Spray Glitter Or Lose Glitter 
Scrap Buttons
Brown Pipe Cleaners
Candy Cane Pipe Cleaners
Old Holiday Dollar Store Socks
Hot Glue
2 Small Scraps Of Orange Fabric
Cardboard Glitter Snowflakes (optional)


Once your labels are removed, and cans are clean and dry (I put mine in the dishwasher), spray them with a coat of white spray paint. I sprayed a light coat because I wanted to be able to see a little silver still. Once dry spray with your spray glue, and sprinkle with your fake snow. Finish off with some spray glitter, or for lager glitter flakes, sprinkle with lose glitter instead.  Let dry, then add your accessories. We used hot glue to apply the buttons, orange fabric noses, and snowflakes. The hats and scarves are made out of one old pair of socks. The hats are just pulled on, and can be removed. We cut strips out of the socks, and hot glued the strips together, to get a long enough strips to work for scarves. The scarves are tied on, and can be removed as well. Use pipe cleaners to make candy canes and branch arms. The arms are one piece that sit on top of the largest can, and can be removed for storage. 

I think I will leave these cuties out all Winter, or at least until Valentines decorations come out. I hope you have a very Merry Christmas! Well that's what I have been up to, what about you? Come share at our weekly Anything Goes linky party!


Post a Comment

Mathew 7:12
So in everything, do to others what you would have them do to you.