My Shop!

Monday, March 24, 2014

Easy Mixed Berry And Lemon French Toast

Around Easter, I start thinking of recipes perfect for a Spring brunch. This recipe really couldn't get any easier, yet it has a wow factor to it. It is so easy to make, I actually surprised my boys with it on a busy school morning. Of course you could make some sweet bread from scratch, but I used two store bought loaf cakes from Walmart.  Quick enough to make even on a busy week day morning, but fancy enough, you will want to take it to your next Spring brunch. It's sweet enough, you could even serve it for dessert!

Easy Mixed Berry And Lemon French Toast Ingredients:
Serves 10 (1 slice of each flavor)

1 package of Triple Berry Sliced Loaf Cake from Walmart
1 package of Lemon Sliced Loaf Cake from Walmart
6 eggs (I used Cholesterol Free Egg Product)
1 1/2 cups of milk
1 Large Container of Cool Whip (I used Fat Free)
2 tsp Lemon Extract (more or less to taste)
Store Bought Blueberry Syrup 
Garnish: Lemons, slice and zest 
Non Stick Butter Flavored Spray


Whisk milk and egg together until well combined. Dip bread, coating either side very well in mixture.  Spray your hot pan (350-400 F degrees) with non stick spray, and cook each slice until golden brown on both sides. Flipping to cook evenly. Just like you would to make regular french toast. Mix lemon extract with cool whip. Add more or less lemon extract to your taste liking. Serve one of each flavor of french toast, and top with blueberry syrup, lemon flavored cool whip, lemon zest, and a lemon slice or wedge for garnish. 

Fresh blueberries or blueberry pie filling instead of blueberry syrup would also be good. 

Well that's one of the many things I have been making, what about you? Come share at our weekly Anything Goes linky party. 

Disclosure: Walmart is mentioned in this post simply because it is where I found all of my ingredients. They did not sponsor this post. 


  1. Mindie,
    Visiting from Applegate Lane. Couldn't wait to read about your weight loss journey. I am traveling the same path and write about my progress on my blog as a series called "The 150 Project". Your before and after photo is an inspiration to me; can't wait to read more! Love your blog and am now following,

  2. This looks delicious! Not only tasty, but the dish itself is gorgeous. Can't wait to try this!

  3. I have been looking for something new for breakfast and this sounds great! Please share this on my Tasty Tuesday party!

  4. This looks yummy, what a nice breakfast idea.

  5. Hi Mindie,
    This looks very tempting! A new way to serve French Toast; wonderful! I will be thinking about you tomorrow. Thank you for sharing at Tea Time and take care.


  6. Beautiful and not difficult and sounds delicious too! Thanks!

  7. so yummy would love to serve this treat to my bunch they would love it
    come see me at

  8. i love lemon anything and this sounds delish! happy tea day!

  9. I always enjoy french toast. This recipe would step it up several notches!

  10. You are a very kind mother! Making this before school : ) I am sure your boys were delighted! lol!
    It looks so delicious. Thank you for sharing your recipe.

  11. This is TEMPTING !!
    I don't know which is easier - to make it or to eat it all in a second :)

  12. This looks very yummy! Thanks for sharing :)

  13. I'm having a V8 moment - why have I never thought to make french toast with cake slices?! This sounds amazing, definitely gonna give it a try. Thanks for sharing this at the History & Home Link Party this week! Take care - Dawn @ We Call It

  14. I love French toast! yum Thank you for sharing your lovely blog at the Thursday Favorite Things Blog Hop xo

  15. Cool! I like how you used two different cake flavors (and also how you used cake instead of bread, of course!)

  16. This is the best way to start your day!

  17. Oh yummers! I love french toast, and this is a fun way to dress it up! Thanks for sharing at Fridays Unfolded!


  18. I've made lots of french toast breakies in all kinds of ways....but I never ever thought to make it with quick bread or cake. You're right it would be an amazing dessert, too.

    Thanks for sharing at Project Inspire{d}!!!

  19. Yum and so pretty!
    Thanks so much for linking!

  20. French toast is my favorite breakfast food. Looks delicious! Thanks for sharing with SYC.

  21. Looks like a fun Easter breakfast!! Thanks for sharing it with us at LOBS!

  22. H Mindie, just hopping by to let you know that I will be featuring you at SYC this week.

  23. This sound so good! Looks beautiful too! I do appreciate you sharing with Home and Garden Thursday,


Mathew 7:12
So in everything, do to others what you would have them do to you.