My Shop!

Monday, March 31, 2014

Edible Easter Egg Paint And Tip For Easy Peel Eggs


I don't think we will dye eggs ever again with vinegar. We had so much fun painting and licking fingers as we went.  When my kids saw me lick paint from my fingers for the first time, they were a little surprised. Then I let them in on my secret edible paint. They had a blast decorating eggs this year, and eating a little edible paint.  I couldn't resist taking some pics as we went. To keep from making a mess inside, we had fun decorating out in the rain, on our covered sidewalk.  After painting, the eggs need to sit over night in the fridge, to allow the food coloring to absorb. It takes longer since you are not using any vinegar. No one wants to lick vinegar off their fingers. The next day you will rinse off your eggs in cool water, and enjoy your art work. 




Tip: older eggs peal easier after being boiled then fresh ones do! If you have your own chickens, let eggs sit in fridge for at least five days before boiling. If you are grocery shopping, and plan on using them right away, check out the sell by date. The older eggs are often on sale too!


Materials:

Cooled Hard Boiled Eggs
1 Small Tub of Whipped Topping (I Used The Extra Creamy Variety)
Food Coloring
Clean Containers (I used mason jars)
New Paint Brushes
Plastic Plates


Directions:

Mix food coloring with your whipped topping. We used red, green, and blue food coloring. We then made purple mixing the red and blue together. Paint eggs as you like. You may also dip the entire egg in a single color. Once eggs are painted. Leave your eggs on a plastic plate, cover, and place in fridge over night. Rinse eggs off the next day with cool water, until they are no longer covered in whipped topping.


I always keep my egg containers after hard boiling the eggs. They keep your eggs safe, and make storage easier in fridge. 

Yes make sure your paint brushes are new and clean, so that your edible paint is not contaminated.

I know I said put on grubby clothes for painting, but you two could have combed your hair ;)

Why yes you can eat the paint!
  Here is another great tip, next year we will do the same thing, however I will be putting different edible extracts and flavorings in the paint. This way the yellow paint can taste like lemons, red like strawberries, purple like grape, you get the idea!

Someones tongue is dyed too! Easter is a month long celebration in our home. My kids had me hiding eggs before April. 

I simply put another plastic plate on top of this one to cover the eggs, and store overnight in fridge. 



Here are our lovely eggs the next day, after rinsing, and ready for hunting! 

Well that's one of many things I have been doing, what about you? Come share your Spring projects and more at our weekly Anything Goes linky. 

11 comments:

  1. Oh these eggs look gorgeous and quite easy! How fun to do them with children and they love it too! Thanks for sharing the récipe!
    FABBY

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is perfect for my toddler! He can decorate his Easter eggs without me worrying!
    http://bedrestedteacher.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  3. These eggs look BEAUTIFUL !!
    We don't celebrate Easter, but I'm sure my nephews would love this project. Well, actually I'd like to do it myself :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is so clever, pinning to my Easter board so I won't forget to do it! Thank you for sharing this and your office chair makeover post at my History & Home link party - Dawn @ We Call It Junkin.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a wonderful idea! I hate the smell of vinegar and will definitely try this. Thanks so much for sharing it!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. So neat and different and fun!

    Great to have you at Seasonal Sundays.

    - Alma, The Tablescaper

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow! Not THAT is some yummy paint! It was so fun to see this linked up at our party. I pinned!! Thanks much!! :)
    “hugs” Crystelle
    Crystelle Boutique

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a fun idea! Thanks so much for sharing with the Let's Get Real party.

    ReplyDelete
  9. No WAY!!! That is so awesome! I had no idea! My boys would totally love this! Thank you so much for sharing!!

    ~Abby =)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hey,
    I wanted to Thank You for sharing this! Great Idea, as well as fun! The eggs look fantastic! The kiddos always seem to enjoy when their Mouths, and Tongues turn colors! Ha Ha! I'm surprised there are no pic's of that! Are there? That would be AWESOME to see! As well as the expressions on their faces! Lol! My e-mail address is inforeplyto@yahoo.com to respond! Please message me back! Thanx!
    Sincerely,
    Alan ;-)

    ReplyDelete

Mathew 7:12
So in everything, do to others what you would have them do to you.