My Shop!

Monday, April 14, 2014

Spring "Carrot" Terrarium And Vintage Bowl Turned Planter


You may already know that I love plants and flowers, but have no green thumb. I struggle with keeping even the hardiest house plants alive. So far my new Spring terrarium and vintage bowl planter are doing great. They both were easy to fill. I found most of my supplies at Walmart and Michaels, except for the plants, they came from Home Depot. 

Materials Used:

Creeping Jenny Ground Cover
Golden Scotch Moss Ground Cover
Potting Soil
Large Glass Jar With Lid
Small Orange Pot
Miniature Orange Pot
Pipe Cleaners Orange and Green
Miniature Chick 
Tiny Chalkboard Sign
Carrot Sticker
Plastic Butterfly
Green Twine
Glass Rocks


Place a 1 inch layer of glass rocks on the bottom of your glass jar, and orange pot. Fill both with potting soil, leaving room for plants. I put my Creeping Jenny in the orange pot, because it's a taller ground cover, and I thought it would make the pot look like a big carrot. The moss I placed around the orange pot. I am keeping it near a bright window, and watering a tiny bit, once a week. 

The carrots were easy to make. I simply wrapped an orange pipe cleaner tightly around two small pieces of green pipe cleaner. 

I really like the look of the Creeping Jenny ground cover. 

Speaking of the Creeping Jenny, it creep-ed right into my vintage bowl.  I found the bowl about 5 years ago at a flea market.  

What do you think, do you like my "carrot" garden?

Do you have any vintage flea market bowls laying around that would make a great planter?

Well that's some of the many things I have been up to. What about you? Come share at our weekly Anything Goes linky. 

Disclosure: This post was not sponsored.


  1. Oh my goodness those carrots are adorable!!! I've tried my hand at a terrarium and it was a total failure..granted it did live for about three months. Cant say I've bought any bowls from a thrift store...lots of other things though like a dried flower display with a fake bird in there (Don't ask)

  2. Lovely! The carrots and the chick add a super cute touch.

  3. How pretty. Thanks for sharing at What'd You Do This Weekend. Have a wonderful week.


  4. Gosh, this brings back so many sweet memories of making these in school, Mindie! I used to love to take off the lid and inhale the sweet earthy fragrance inside. :) Yours turned out so adorable!

    xoxo laurie

  5. I love flowers and plants. Never tried this tho.

  6. This is so pretty, Mindie, and I like your choices of plants. I'm so very sorry to hear of your illness, praying for God's healing hands on you. Thank you for sharing this at History and Home this week. Take care - Dawn @ We Call It

  7. Super duper cute!! Featuring you tomorrow!

  8. Oh how pretty! Thanks for joining us at the Home Sweet Garden Party! Your post is a feature this week too! ♥ Brooke

  9. Gosh, I love your stuff. So CUTE. Thanks for the fun. Linda


Mathew 7:12
So in everything, do to others what you would have them do to you.