My Shop!

Saturday, May 24, 2014

Amanda's Skinny Smashed Sweet Potatoes

21 Day Fix Skinny Smashed Sweet Potatoes

 Hi everyone! I am so excited to be back here to share one of my new favorite side dishes! Serve this up along side a juicy grilled steak or chicken breast and you'll have a delicious summer time meal!! Head over to my blog for some more tasty and delicious meals if you'd like! Old House to New Home

Over the last couple of weeks I have really been trying to kick it up a notch with eliminating all the "gunk" from my family's diet. We have always been healthy eaters and do the obvious things, only eat whole grains, lots of fresh veggies, no excess butter or oil, and certainly no frying of anything. We also try to eat "clean" which means no processed foods. We certainly aren't perfect at clean eating and cheat more often than I'd like to admit, but we do stay away from canned, boxed, and prepackaged foods.

It doesn't matter how healthy you think your food is though, you can always do more. While I know it is great that we only eat whole wheat pasta, I could always eat smaller portions. And even though I include a veggie with every meal, am I really making the most of that veggie, or am I killing it with too much oil or cheese? So now I am on a mission to really clean up our diet and to pack every meal full of protein, nutrients, and vitamins.

I think that most people know that Sweet Potatoes are a super food. They are packed with nutrients and vitamins and are so good for your diet. Even though they are a carb, they are low on calories and fat, and if you don't slather them in butter and brown sugar, they are a great accompaniment to your meal.

Normally when I make smashed potatoes (which is just my lazy version of mashed potatoes) I use butter and milk to help moosh up my potatoes. I decided to replace those with protein packed Greek yogurt. I was scared that this could end up in disaster, but after one bite, I knew I had stumbled on a winner! The yogurt made the potatoes creamy and tangy, which paired with a little agave nectar and cinnamon, was the perfect combination of tangy and sweet!

Have you seen the sweet potatoes that you steam in the bag in the microwave?! These have changed my life...seriously. If you see these at the grocery store, stock up!

Skinny Smashed Sweet Potatoes 

4 medium sized sweet potatoes, cubed and boiled, or steamed in the microwave
3/4 cup non-fat Greek yogurt
2 tbsp. agave nectar
1 tbsp. cinnamon
salt and pepper to taste

Cube peeled potatoes and boil them until tender or cook until tender in the microwave. Remove skins if you used the microwave method.

While still warm,  place potatoes into a medium sized mixing bowl. Add yogurt and smash with a potato masher, heavy wooden spoon, or whatever your desired method is. Taste for seasonings and add salt and pepper. I did not use much here because the potatoes were delicious as is.

Drizzle potatoes with agave and then sprinkle with cinnamon and brown sugar. Garnish with more yogurt to mix in later if desired.

Serve immediately and enjoy!

(I used this recipe for the 21 day fix and measured out my serving in the yellow container. I counted this recipe as 1 yellow and 1 red because of the yogurt

Disclosure: This is NOT a sponsored post. 


  1. This recipe looks great! I love adding greek yogurt to sweet potatoes!

  2. We have sweet potatoes widely available here! Will definitely give this a try!

  3. Sweet potatoes are one of my favorite foods! I pinned your recipe and will try it for sure! Thank you.

  4. I looooove sweet potato and it's a wonderful recipe
    I'd love it as is, no chicken to meat (I'm a vegetarian), and I'd probably try this recipe next week

  5. Thank you so much for linking up at Tasty Tuesday! Your recipe has been pinned to the Tasty Tuesday Pinterest board! Please join us again this week!

  6. YUMMY! I just shared on twitter and google + directly. I want to make this next weekend. Thanks so much for linking!

  7. I'm drooling right now! This looks so good. Pinned. Thanks for being a part of our party. Please come and party with us tonight at 7 pm. We love having you.
    Happy Monday! Lou Lou Girls

  8. I cannot wait to try these. They look delicious and creamy. Thanks for linking up with Tickle My Tastebuds. I am featuring you tomorrow on this week's hop. Make sure you stop by and grab a featured button and link up again!

    Julia @ Mini Van Dreams

  9. Oh yum! These look divine! Thanks for linking up to The Creative Exchange Linky Party!

  10. I love sweet potatoes and these look so yummy! Thanks for sharing the recipe with SYC. Pinned.

  11. Great recipe! I love to eat sweet potatoes and they are good for you!

  12. I would love to see comments from people who have actually made and tried it? All I ever see on these blog posts are comments about how good it looks and how they can't wait to try it, which does not help at all !

  13. is this 4 servings? Are they good leftover?


Mathew 7:12
So in everything, do to others what you would have them do to you.