My Shop!

Saturday, June 28, 2014

Amanda's Classic Pasta Salad



I am so excited to be back here to share one of my go to summer time recipes! I absolutely love summertime eating. It's lighter, full of produce, and packed with fresh flavors! Summertime also brings picnics and BBQs, which are so fun, but often an eating disaster if you are trying to diet. Pasta salad is one of those foods that often appears on the picnic table. There are so many versions of them and I think everyone makes it differently. The recipe I am sharing today is the recipe I turn to time and time again whenever I am hungry for pasta salad but still want to save some room for dessert!


This recipe is very adaptable. Throw in whatever veggies or cheeses you have and switch up the dressing if you need more or less seasoning. Double the recipe if you are cooking for a group! This salad also gets better over night, so it is perfect to make the night before and then serve at your picnic the following day.

I hope you are having a great summer and that you try this recipe! For more healthy, and sometimes not so healthy recipes, visit me at my blog Old House to New Home



Classic Pasta Salad with Balsamic Dressing

Ingredients:
6 oz. whole wheat or high fiber pasta such as Ronzoni Smart Taste
1 red and 1 yellow pepper, diced
4 oz. cheddar or Colby jack cheese, cubed
half a bag of turkey pepperoni, quartered
1/4 cup olive oil
1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
1/3 cup good quality balsamic vinegar
1 tbsp. red wine vinegar
1 1/2 tsp. Italian seasoning
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. garlic powder
1/4 tsp. black pepper

Boil pasta to al dente. Don't overcook because pasta will soften as it sits in the fridge. Set pasta aside until it cools. Add a little bit of oil to the noodles so that they don't stick while you are waiting for it to cool.

In a medium sized bowl, combine peppers, cheese, and pepperoni. When noodles are cool, add them to the bowl and then mix to combine. 

In a separate bowl whisk together the two oils, two vinegars, and the seasonings. Taste and add more seasoning if necessary. Add dressing to the noodle mixture and mix well to coat. Cover and refrigerate for at least 3 hours. If serving the next day, uncover half an hour before serving to get to room temperature. Stir and then add more balsamic vinegar and extra virgin olive oil if the noodles have absorbed too much of the dressing. I like my pasta salad with lots of dressing so I always add more!

Disclosure: This is not a sponsored post. 

7 comments:

  1. Gosh this sounds good. Thanks for sharing at What'd You Do This Weekend. I hope you have a great week and a bang-up good 4th. :-)

    Linda

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just found your blog from the Wake up Wednesday link up party and I'm super excited to be following you via Bloglovin and GFC now! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great recipe! I am tring to eat healthy right now. Love this! Thanks for linking!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh how I love pasta salad in the summertime, and I'd forgotten about adding pepperoni to it so I'm glad you reminded me! Thanks for sharing this at History & Home

    ReplyDelete
  5. Perfect for summer! Yummy. Pinned. Thanks so much for being a part of our party! Please join us tonight at 7 pm. We love having YOU! http://loulougirls.blogspot.com/
    Happy Monday! Lou Lou Girls

    ReplyDelete
  6. Looks so good! Thank you so much for linking up at Tasty Tuesday! Your recipe has been pinned to the Tasty Tuesday Pinterest board! Please join us again this week!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Pasta salad just screams summer to me! Thanks for sharing your recipe with SYC.
    hugs,
    Jann

    ReplyDelete

Mathew 7:12
So in everything, do to others what you would have them do to you.