My Shop!

Friday, August 15, 2014

DIY Pumpkin Scented Loofah Soaps


I have come to love making my own soap. There is something so rewarding about releasing a bar of soap from a pretty mold. When you make your own, you can scent the soap to your liking, my favorite part. Today I am going to share how to make a pumpkin scented loofah soap, using an easy melt and pour soap base.  Loofahs, also spelled luffa, are a natural way to exfoliate your skin. I think they look beautiful when used in your soap molds, don't you?



Making your own soap, can be costly. One of my favorite places to shop for supplies online is at
 Bulk Apothecary, isn't that a fun name!  They have lots of supplies for making your own soaps, candles, lip gloss, lotions, shampoos, beer, and more! Their prices are really competitive too. 

I ordered soap supplies from Bulk Apothecary to make several holiday scented soaps. I sell a few varieties of my soaps on my Etsy shop, at the local Farmer's Market, craft shows, and soon Wemple's Pumpkin Patch!

Materials:

Melt And Pour Soap Base (I Like Goat's Milk or Shea Butte Base)
7/8 inch thick Luffas (I found mine from Bulk Apothecary)
Pumpkin Shaped Silicone Mold (I found this one at Walmart)
Orange Soap Dye or Yellow and Red To Make Orange
Cosmetic Grade Scented Oil (I used a Spicy Pumpkin scent)
Empty Spray Bottle
Rubbing Alcohol



Directions:

Cut your desired amount of soap base. The bar I made for this tutorial is a large 5 oz bar. Melt your soap base in the microwave. I prefer to use a spouted glass measuring cup, to melt my soap in. Cover top of glass with plastic wrap. This will help keep your soap from drying out while you melt it. Do not boil or over heat soap, this can give it a foul smell, and make it unusable. Heat in small increments of time, checking and stirring every 30 seconds.  Similar to how you would melt chocolate. Once melted, add your soap dye, in small increments, until desired color is reached.  Then add your scented oil, again in small increments, until desired scent is achieved. Place loofahs into your molds. Pour soap into your mold. Fill until you reach the top of each loofah. If you have any undesired bubbles spray with rubbing alcohol to pop. You may let the soap set up at room temperature, or in the fridge, for a quicker set. Until you are ready to use, store soap in an air tight container.


I chose a very soft pumpkin color, because I don't like to use a lot of dye in my soaps.



Here it is packaged and ready for gifting.

Well that's one of many soaps I have been whipping up. What have you been up to? Come share at our Anything Goes Linky party. 

Disclosure: This is NOT a sponsored post. 

6 comments:

  1. Hi Mindie - I am insanely impressed that you can make your own soap! I love this time of year when everyone starts thinking of all things pumpkin! Hugs, Holly

    ReplyDelete
  2. These are so pretty and sound like they smell amazing! Thanks so much for sharing, I am totally going to try it. Your post will be featured in tonight's What'd You Do This Weekend. Pinned! :-)

    Ashley @ PioneerMomma.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love it! Pinned. Thanks for being a part of our party. I hope you get a chance to stop by tonight at 7 pm. We love having you! http://loulougirls.blogspot.com
    Happy Monday! Lou Lou Girls

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love it! The pumpkin mold is so fun and what a great gift these would make! Thanks for sharing with SYC.
    hugs,
    Jann

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, wow...thank you so much for sharing your techniques! I really appreciate the time it took for you to do it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh OMGOSH! I love this!! Such a great craft and gift!
    Featuring you tomorrow!
    Thanks for linking.
    XO
    Isabelle

    ReplyDelete

Mathew 7:12
So in everything, do to others what you would have them do to you.