My Shop!

Monday, August 4, 2014

Furniture DIY My Bold Teal Dining Set Reveal


I contemplated titling this post, the metamorphosis of my dining set. As I mentioned in earlier posts, I have been tackling some DIY projects this Summer. One of which, was repainting and waxing our dining set, and distressing the bench legs.




This picture was taken last Fall. You see it wasn't that long ago, I painted our shabby looking black and oak dining set . It had been used for a few years as a crafting and homework station, so it was in need of some TLC. It had dents, glue, and permanent marker on it.  Lucky for me, my oldest likes using the electric sander. 


Here it was last November, after sanding it, and painting it with a turquoise chalkboard paint.  I loved it for a while, and the boys enjoyed being able to draw on the table in chalk. However the flat white paint on the chairs, was very hard to keep clean. 


 I decided to repaint it a "Radiant Teal Velveteen" found at Walmart.  If you follow me on Instagram, you may have already seen some of these quick cell phone pics, I took during this DIY project.


I applied 3 to 4 coats of paint with a brush, and roller when possible, to the set, and sanded lightly in between each coat. I wanted the color to be really rich and vibrant. It looks darker in person.  

The legs of the bench, I decided to leave distressed looking. Since the legs of the bench were previously painted white, all I had to do was dry brush on the teal. If you apply to much teal (or whatever color you are working with) in any spot, simply wait tell it drys, and sand a bit of it off. 


After the paint was completely dry, I decided to apply a coat of wax. The wax was easy to use. It is very stinky though, so make sure to open lots of windows, and run a fan. As per can directions, I brushed a coat of wax over the entire set, let it dry, and buffed it with a towel. 


The wax should help a little with preventing chips and stains.


I am pretty happy with how it turned out. So far the glossy satin teal seems to be easier to keep clean then a flat white!  I will not be repainting this table a third time. 



I would love to know what you think in a comment below. Do you like the dark teal? Do you use  bold colors in your home decor?  Well that's what I have been sweating over, what about you? Come share at our Anything Goes weekly linky party. 

Disclosure: This is NOT a sponsored post. 

28 comments:

  1. Love this Mindie! How are you doing this week? laura

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Laura! I am feeling better, but I felt better for a short time after the first round of antibiotics, so I am trying not to get my hopes up to high. Fingers crossed though that I keep feeling better. Hope your week is going well. Thank you for your sweet comments.

      Delete
  2. I love the table!! My husband would go nuts if I painted over wood thought, lol.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This color is gorgeous! What a great choice for a dining table!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The table is lovely. I love the bright color. I will be checking more stuff here for sure.

    I need to leave you my website because my google id is all it will take; do not know why???
    http://thewomanspost.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know why Linda. I allow all comments except anonymous ones. Maybe it's acting up today. Thank you for commenting.

      Delete
  5. I love it! I might even paint my office desk that color..you have given me some inspiration! Thanks!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I bet you feel uplifted every time you walk into the room. It is a great color choice.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful! I am getting ready to paint my set and keep changing my mind about the colors. Love this!

    ReplyDelete
  8. YES!!! Awesome job love the color :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ummmm, you have wonderful taste in colors Miss Mindie!! I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  10. i love colorful furniture! my husband on the other hand absolutely does not! this is such a happy color! I am visiting from the Fluster link party!

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a wonderfully cherry color! I'm sure you must really enjoy it. Thank you for sharing this. :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Nicely done!
    Please come share at http://image-in-ing.blogspot.com/2014/08/variations-with-linky.html
    Hope to see you soon!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Teal is my favorite color, so it really caught my eye on the Wake-Up Wednesday Linky Party (I'm # 376 & 378). I also L-O-V-E your blog name!

    ReplyDelete
  14. This looks so incredibly fabulous!

    Sarah @ Backwoods Babies

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hmmm, this gives me an idea for our kitchen table and chairs that could use a miracle. Pinning!

    Michelle @ On A Wing And A Prayer

    ReplyDelete
  16. I think it looks cheerful and classy!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I didn't know you could get a turquoise chalkboard paint. I have seen design shows using black in kitchens for kids and moms. I think the turquoise would be so much nicer. I like the teal that you ended up with. It looks fabulous. Visiting from Claire Justine's weekend blog hop. You can link on mine at http://abooksandmore.blogspot.com/2014/08/welcome-to-my-weekend-linky.html

    ReplyDelete
  18. One word - Gorgeous! I loved your "before" pictures but I really love it now, that colour is just beautiful.
    Hope you are feeling ok, I always pop here every week to get a little dose of your seemly boundless energy, creativity and positivity.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Mindie....your "new" table is a wow! I can only imagine how happy it makes your room feel!
    Thanks for sharing your makeover with us at Project Inspire{d}!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I love it!!!! Thank you for sharing your sweet blog at the Thursday Favorite Things Blog Hop. Watch for your feature on Monday xo P.S. I posted my new giveaway Friday :-)

    ReplyDelete
  21. Amazing work, Mindie! Stunning color! Great work! Thanks for sharing!
    Hope you have an awesome week!
    Hugs from Portugal,
    Ana Love Craft
    www.lovecraft2012.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  22. I LOVE LOVE the color! Pinned. We truly love having you be a part of our party. I hope you will get a chance to stop by tonight at 7 pm. It's not a party without you! http://loulougirls.blogspot.com
    Happy Monday! Lou Lou Girls

    ReplyDelete
  23. Mindie, This table is definitely happy. Love the color! I have a chandelier hanging over my kitchen table that is so similar in color. Thanks for sharing with SYC.
    hugs,
    Jann

    ReplyDelete
  24. Gorgeous! I am all for this color, I use it all the time in my home. This is a wonderful redo. Thank you for linking it up at Friday Favorites!

    Emily - Our house now a home

    ReplyDelete

Mathew 7:12
So in everything, do to others what you would have them do to you.