My Shop!

Wednesday, August 13, 2014

Turn Runny Lotion Into Luxurious Scented Body Butter


Have you ever bought a lotion that was too runny? Now I expect lotion to be thinner then body butter, but I hate when it's really watery.

 A while back I purchased a large bottle of Equate Skin Firming Moisturizing Lotion. I should have opened it, and checked it's consistency, because it was thinner then I prefer. You may use my recipe below with any lightly scented lotions, you have taking up space in your bathroom cabinets. This is a great way to use up lotion that is too runny, or not meeting your moisturizing needs. As long as your base lotion is lightly scented, you may add any cosmetic grade scented oils to jazz up the scent. This time around I chose to make a Pumpkin Apple Butter scent, since Fall is around the corner.  I make many of my own skin care products, and perfumes, and sell them locally, and online at my Etsy shop.  I have a substantial collection of cosmetic grade, and essential oils on hand. I am a bit of a scent slut, I admit it. I used a combination of pumpkin, honey, vanilla, butter, cinnamon, and apple cosmetic grade scented oils for my body butter. It smells heavenly, and is extremely moisturizing like any good body butter should be. You can tweak this recipe to suit your moisturizing, and scent preferences. 

Body Butter Recipe:
Makes 2 1/2 Cups

1 cup of runny lightly scented lotion
1/2 cup of 100% Natural Shea Butter 
1 cup BabyGanics non petroleum protective ointment (a healthier alternative to petroleum jelly)
2 ml or more of cosmetic grade scented oils or essential oils


Directions:

Combine your first 3 ingredients together using your electric blender. Play around with ratios to get the desired consistency and feel (see my tips below). After you have the texture to your liking, add gradually your scented oil(s), until you have the desired scent. 


Tips: To reduce the residual greasy feel of this body butter, reduce the amount of protective ointment used in this recipe. To thicken the body butter, add less lotion, and more Shea butter. The amount of scented oils used will be different based on your scent choice, it's strength, and your preferences. For example lavender, eucalyptus, peppermint, honey, cinnamon, these tend to be very strong scents, and require sometimes only a couple drops to meet my needs, where as scents like vanilla, I can almost never add too much. Keep in mind that essential oils, and cosmetic grade scented oils, are strong, and should almost always be diluted before applying directly to skin.  As with all new body products, I recommend applying a small amount first, to make sure your skin and it agree. If any irritation should occur, rinse off immediately, and discontinue use. 


I like my body butter like I like my men, and milkshakes, thick ;)



Of course I had to pretty my body butter up with some burlap, ribbon, and twine.

Storage Tips:

Many body products are best kept in cool low light areas. I actually have a two mini fridges I store my body butters, scrubs, soaps, oils, lotions, and potions in, for a long shelf life.  Of course air tight containers are a must too. Most scented products won't smell as strong when cold, but once back to room temperature, their full scent will return. 

Well that's one of many things I have been whipping up, what about you? If you give this recipe a try, please let me know, in a comment below. Come share what you have been up to at our next Anything Goes linky party. 

Disclosure: This is NOT a sponsored post. 

13 comments:

  1. How nifty. I do have some runny lotion that I'm not using.

    Thanks for sharing this!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for sharing this tip. I just may have to try it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just pinned this to the Fridays Unfolded link board! I love thick, luxe lotion and hate the runny stuff. This looks like the perfect fix!

    Alison
    Nancherrow

    ReplyDelete
  4. GREAT Idea! I love how simple it was to make.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wonderful and so easy. Thanks for sharing.
    Greetings from South Africa

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is so cute and useful! Thank you for sharing this beauty tip :) Now, I need to get some runny lotions just to try this out :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you for sharing at the Thursday Favorite Things blog hop ♥

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Mindie - This is a great idea! Thanks so much for sharing with the Let's Get Real Party. I am pinning it to our group board.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sounds like a great recipe! Thanks for sharing it with SYC.
    hugs,
    Jann

    ReplyDelete
  10. Now I know what to do with that big bottle of runny lotion. Thank you so much for sharing at Share It One More Time... Cathy

    ReplyDelete
  11. I want to give this a try for sure. Thank you for sharing at Friday Favorites!

    Emily- Our house now a home

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great recipe - I love making homemade body butter! I do appreciate you sharing with Home and Garden Thursday,
    Kathy

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great idea. Thanks for sharing at Home Sweet Home.
    Sherry

    ReplyDelete

Mathew 7:12
So in everything, do to others what you would have them do to you.